ical / URL Source - duplicate events on Calendar

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:51 pm
I'm a brand-new SC Calendar Pro owner / user; forgive me if I'm overlooking something obvious, here.

I set up a third Source, based on the 2nd sample source (an iCal URL.)

The Source works fine, except that it displays duplicates of every event, offset by one day into the future. The Source in this case is a US-Holidays calendar, so for example, Christmas shows up on 12/25 (as it should) but also shows up on 12/26. This happens consistently for every holiday:
Screen shot 2011-10-24 at 1.40.39 PM.png
Month-view calendar, showing the problem.
Screen shot 2011-10-24 at 1.40.39 PM.png (174.55 KiB) Viewed 8983 times

The URL I'm using is:
webcal://www.calendarlabs.com/templates ... lidays.ics
I don't think the problem is related to the source URL, however, as it occurs when I try various alternative US-Holidays iCal URLs, too.

See attached screen shots that show my configuration, and the problem itself.
Screen shot 2011-10-24 at 1.39.31 PM.png
The Source #3 layout.
Screen shot 2011-10-24 at 1.39.31 PM.png (122.27 KiB) Viewed 8983 times

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

S

keywords: events duplicated, duplicated events, duplicate event, duplicate events, ical
Last edited by rowanning on Tue May 28, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:48 am
Hi S,

Right, we do our best to have these calendars follow the .ics rules, but there are exceptions to this. This calendar and (and other holiday ones) set a date range for these events, i.e. New Year's Day has a start day of the 1st and an end Date of the 2nd. Here you can see it in the ics string:

ics.png
ics.png (93.61 KiB) Viewed 8979 times

Calendar clients know that this means it ends on midnight of the first, but FileMaker is not so smart with midnight, so it reads this as a 2 day all day event, which is what you're seeing.

One solution is to teach FileMaker to ignore the end date fro certain source numbers. This can be done in the script "Read iCal Event By Number ( Source ; Number )." Here I've told the script to ignore the End Date for Source No 2, and that solves it in this case.

script.png
script.png (141.14 KiB) Viewed 8979 times

Hope that helps!
Jason
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am
Jason,

Thanks much for the concise and detailed explanation. I inserted the If... conditional you suggested, in the place you suggested, and the problem is resolved.

As a new user of Calendar Pro I am very impressed with the simplicity and power of the solution template. I've been using & developing in FMP for over a decade; I can't believe how simple the relationship-table is for Calendar Pro. It's an example I hope to follow more often in my other Filemaker work.

I also appreciate your all's prompt response to my support query.

Have a good day,

S
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:42 pm
Great S, (If that is your real name :))

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words.

Cheers!

Return to SeedCode Calendar