automating export of iCal files based on user settings

General support questions.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:37 am
I love your product and it appears to be the soloution I am looking for, however...

Is it possible to allow users to remotely export personalized iCal files that can be viewed via PHP iCalendar ? huh?

Let me try that again...

I need to allow multiple users to dynamically generate their personal calendar so that it is created by the user and requires no admin help/work from the FileMaker DB admin. this would require many users (>100) to have their own accounts that pull appointments from one master appointment file that is updated by the admin.

my other question is ... would you suggest having seperate layouts that pertain to different security levels or should they be relational DBs to enhance security?

thank you for your time and assistance
matzofast
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:58 am
matzofast wrote:I love your product and it appears to be the soloution I am looking for, however...

Is it possible to allow users to remotely export personalized iCal files that can be viewed via PHP iCalendar ? huh?

Let me try that again...

I need to allow multiple users to dynamically generate their personal calendar so that it is created by the user and requires no admin help/work from the FileMaker DB admin. this would require many users (>100) to have their own accounts that pull appointments from one master appointment file that is updated by the admin.

This is pretty easily done. You can add some dynamic find criteria to CC Calendar's Export-to-iCal script (in the Pro Version) so that the script exports a calendar for just one user. You can then use an FTP plugin to move the exported file up to your web server where PHPiCalendar will display it. (FTPit will also let you rename the files after you upload them.)

The cool part is that you can automate this so that X such calendars are exported every day or every hour. You'd use the Events Plugin from Waves in Motion to do this. Using this plugin you can have an "agent" machine running all sorts of regularly scheduled, unattended database routines. Believe me, once you set one of these agents up, you'll never be without one again. Waves in Motion has an article about this on their site; worth a read.

matzofast wrote:my other question is ... would you suggest having seperate layouts that pertain to different security levels or should they be relational DBs to enhance security?

I'm not sure what you're really asking here, but I'd hate to see you duplicate layouts over a security issue. Every structure you duplicate on those layouts adds to the overhead involved in all future changes to those layouts. Keeping the number of redundant structures to a minimum is an investment that pays off.

HTH.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to General Support