Scheduling - Horizontal View - Is there a 'bug' in FM 8 ?

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:23 pm
This really puzzled me.

In schedule horizontal view, it displays all appointment correctly. I then went into layout mode. I simply add some text and save, without touching anything else. When back to browse mode, it display rubbish. Every appointments overlapped in one line.

I then tried with my backup copy. This time I just unlocked the title "CC Calendar" and save and exit. The samething happend.

This happend when I used FM 8 Advanced.

I then switched back to my FM 7 Deveoper and tried the same steps. It worked fine in FM 7 Developer. No matter what I changed to the layout, it always display correctly.

Is this a 'bug' in FM 8?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:43 am
Wow. I can reproduce this also... let me look into this...
John Sindelar
SeedCode
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:31 am
Just wanted to post an update on this issue. The file in question is not corrupt and passes the Server 8 consistency check. It *appears* that the stack order of the portals is changed when the layout is edited. We're continuing to look at this but for now would suggest that this layout only be edited in FM7. I'll keep everyone posted as this develops later today.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:54 am
We seem to have confirmed a difference between the way FM7 and FM8 save a layout after changes have been made; this difference affects the stack order of portal row members.

It looks like the upshot of this is going to be:

a) We are close to finishing a layout that will work and be editable in FM8.

b) However, that same layout, if edited in layout mode in FM7 will break when FM7 re-stacks it.

c) So it looks like we'll need to supply two Horizontal Schedule layouts, one for FM7 and one for FM8. Both will work in Browse mode in either FM7 or FM8, so you'll only maintain one layout. The one you choose will be based on which ap you edit your layouts in, FM7 or FM8.

Aagain, I'll update this thread as we get this nailed down. Nice catch Richard.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:44 am
Just an update on FM8-Stack-Order bug in the Horizontal orientation of the calendar's Scheduling Edition...

We are still working on a copy of the layout that uses an FM8 friendly stack order, but it is not coming quickly. So far I have not been able to get the buttons in the appointment rows to work. Assuming I can get it to work, we would have a version that could be edited in FM8 (though not FM7). I don't know how useful that is as long as people are still using a mix of FM7 and 8.

While we normally don't discuss future products, I believe in this case it is warranted to say that our ultimate plans are likely to remove the horizontal orientation from the next version of the calendar. We have so many users running a mix of FM7 and FM8, I wouldn't think everyone could keep the "only edit in FM8" thing straight. The horizontal orientation is also the slowest of the calendar screens (though I am fond of it, largely because it was so hard to do). I also have a sneaking suspicion that the horizontal orientation is less useful than it is just cool- and likely won't be missed. If I'm wrong about that please feel free to reply here or email me at john at seedcode.com

I'll continue to update this thread as we work through this.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)