Grabbing multiple fields

General support questions.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:56 am
I need to import text from records in one field to a portal in another field, multiple fields:

I have a portal located in a table A. It contains a number of fields including an ID auto entry field. Table B has the same fields, not in a portal.

I want to create a script that will go from a button located in the portal field Table A to another layout in Table B, allow the user to check a box to select a number of entries, and then import the data from those records into the 8 fields in the portal in Table A. There are 8 fields, including the auto entry id.

I am doing something wrong.

KA
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:15 am
Hi KA,

Not really sure we have enough information to answer this, but if you're using FileMaker 8 or 8.5 you can use variables to move things around like this.

From your source you'd set the data you want to import to variables, then move to your destination, create a new record, and then set the field in that record to the contents of your variables. If you have 8 fields to move, that would be 8 SetVariable script steps followed by 8 SetField steps.

If you want this operation to apply to a group of records you may put this inside a loop that moves through your found set of records.

Remember that in some cases you may want to literally "import" from one table to another, or possibly export out to a file and the import that file back in.

Send us additional questions about specific parts of what you're trying to accomplish and we'll see if we can help.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to General Support