SUM'ing within Portals

General support questions.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:18 pm
All I can say is, "Wow"... You are amazing, John - that worked fine - All but for the totals running backwards... LOL - I mean, the totals are calc'd from the top, instead of from the oldest to newest...

Thanks a ton - it may have taken me 3 or 4 years to figure this out on my own...

(heaves a sigh of relief)

If nothing else, I'll just change the portal to sort the other way, and then change the print script...ah... Oh well. At least it keep the totals... LOL
Jon H. Atkinson
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:39 pm
Unfortunately not. These running total fields don't really understand anything other than the simplest chronological sort order when they are in portals.

They were designed to work in SubSummary reports and there they do understand descending sorts. So if you wanted to provide a printed version of this for your customer you'd be able to do so with the most recent item on top. But in browse mode (in a portal) you'd have to change your sort if you want this to line up.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:07 pm
You Da MAN!!!! W0000t! My clients are gonna love this - being able to print receipts and keep track of accounts so easily - how does the world live without Filemaker...? hahaha - John, you truly are the greatest - thank you so very much... O_:o)

PS - now to add web functionality so that my students ( and their parents ) are able to logon thru the internet to get a receipt, check their payment records, refer to my comments from each lesson, etc... wow, the list is nearly endless... Maybe I could even prepare forms for them to complete (for homework) that they can download thru Filemaker network? Wow... I feel like it's Christmas morning!

Thanks one last time, John!

W0000t!!!
Jon H. Atkinson
Previous

Return to General Support