FM5 find and report problem

General support questions.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:26 am
Hi All,

I have been asked to set up what sounds like a simple report for a client with a database built by a previous developer. The db has three files, Clients, Jobs, Timesheets. The relationships are pretty standard clients to jobs – one to many, ditto jobs to timesheets.

What the client wants to do is to find Jobs by various criteria, then produce a report by Client on those jobs. It sounds simple enough but I cannot think of a way where this can be achieved without some pretty hefty scripting.

The problem is that as the find is done in Jobs and the report needs to be produced by Client, any portalling in of Job records into the Client file is not going to necessarily bring in the found set of Jobs for that client but will bring in All jobs for that client.

If the report is produced in Jobs, I cannot use a list view to show the Jobs as it has to be by Client, similarly a self-relating portal will again bring in all Jobs and show them in every Job record which I then print. As the report has to be by Client then this is no good either.

Ideally, I want the result to be a simple List with each printed report sheet showing a single Client with their ‘qualifying’ jobs.

Is scripting the only answer to this?

I can’t believe I cannot solve this but I have been racking my brains over this one for days.

Once again. Thank you for any help and advice.

Puzzled of London
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:59 am
Hey there.

Sounds like you want a subsummary report in the Jobs file with the subsummary part showing client information. That would let you do this...

I want the result to be a simple List with each printed report sheet showing a single Client with their ‘qualifying’ jobs.

...and you can set the subsummary part to start a new page break before each occurrence to get a new page for each client.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:31 am
Thank you John,

Have a Happy Easter.

Best regards

David

Return to General Support