Contacts Letter History

General support questions.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:04 pm
Is there a way to get a history of letters sent in the activity portal?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:03 pm
Sure... if those letters are records in the Appointments table. If they aren't you could make a second portal of "recent correspondence".
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:56 pm
Thanks, but I don't quite understand. In the contacts layout, clicking on the "letter" button opens the letter layout and I understand how to modify the template. I just can't figure out how I can get that to show up as a record in the activity portal.....
Thanks for any assistance....
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:11 pm
Right, should have been more thorough... So those letters you're making don't exist anywhere as records (at least not yet). They are just layouts you're printing. If you want to record them somewhere you're on the right track about adding them to Recent Activity.

After you print your letter, run a loop that loops through your found set of contacts. Then, for each contact make a new appointment for that contact recording the letter. You may want to send the user a dialog asking what they'd like to call this mailing (or maybe you can use the selected letter's layout name, recorded in Filter::FilterLetterLayoutGlob) and use that as the title of the activity / appointment.

You may also want to ask your user if they even want to record the letter, since they may be reprinting a letter because the printer jammed- and they won't want every print attempt recorded as a separate mailing.

Finally you may want to create an appointment type called "letter" so you can easily find or exclude these from activity in the filters.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:40 pm
Thanks, John,
So if I understand this correctly, I'm just modifying the script "Print Contact Letter"
Forgive my ignorance, it's been several years since I've worked with Filemaker......
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:46 pm
That's the one. And don't worry about the questions... no problem =)
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to General Support