Showing only "one" of the "many"

General support questions.
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:40 am
We have a one to many relationship between an appointment/event and attendees (i.e. multiple "many" contacts attending a single "one" event ).

Next we create a list view layout showing the various events/appointments on a line and one of the attendees.

Here is my problem: I would like to run a Find for all the appointments attended by a single attendee and have the list view show all the appointments attended and that specific attendee. Because there are many attendees for each appointment, the list view, even after running the find for a single attendee, still shows other attendees in the list. I believe these are displayed based on their selection order. I only want the one attendee to show next to the appointment.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:20 am
To do this you'd need to script your find so that the find criteria is entered into a global field before the find is performed. Then you could have the attendee field in the list be a calc showing all attendees if the global field was empty, or just the attendee in the global field if it was filled in. Trouble is, your users might not enter a full name in the global field, the could enter "Fr" for "Fred".

What may be more interesting is to expand the list view record height so you can always see most of the attendees (possibly by using a calc to display them as A, B, and C instead of as carriage return separated values) and then use one of several recursive custom functions to highlight your search terms in the attendee list. This would highlight "Fr" in "Fred" for example.

You can find custom functions for this by searching for something like "highlight search terms" here and [http://www.briandunning.com/filemaker-custom-functions/recentlist.php]here[/url].
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to General Support