ProMaps Area & GeoLocation assignments

General support questions.
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:07 pm
Situation:
a. Several Areas have been defined in Areas and Borders and their coordinates entered in the Area portal.
b. A new Property is created and its address entered.
c. The Property's gm_GeoLocation is completed upon commit.

Questions:
a. Is there a way that its Area can be identified by the gm_GeoLocation coordinates and the Area (name) auto-entered into gm_Area or must it be manually specified by a User for each new Property?
b.If an address is insufficient to generate a specific GeoLocation, can it instead insert the Map Settings Default Center or would that be unwise?

Thank you for any assistance.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:18 am
Hi LaRetta,

Thanks for the background info.

> a. Is there a way that its Area can be identified by the gm_GeoLocation coordinates and the Area (name) auto-entered into gm_Area or must it be manually specified by a User for each new Property?

So far, all our customers are specifying the area/neighborhood manually, sometimes using the map itself for guidance. But what you suggest sounds possible. A quick survey didn't reveal any calcs or methods I could modify to do this, but I'll take a closer look later and see if there is something we can do here.

> b.If an address is insufficient to generate a specific GeoLocation, can it instead insert the Map Settings Default Center or would that be unwise?

It would only be unwise as you'd get a lot of "pins" in that same place and it can be hard to tease overlapping pins apart in the map itself. We've seen customers alter addresses to default to the middle of the block--for new construction when house numbers haven't been assigned yet, but I don't know if anyone defaulting to map-center or area-center when they can't code an address. Though I'm sure some people are.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:59 pm
LaRetta,

We may have a solution for this and I'll send you an email directly.

Sincerely yours,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:33 pm
We've found containsLocation() but I haven't had the chance to follow up on it. Thank you for all your help, John. :-)

Return to General Support