Find text in Greek

General support questions.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:29 am
Hi,

I have this problem: I converted my databases from FM6 to FM7. (Mac OS X). Thousands of records are wtitten in Greek language and in the previous, non Unicode text. The conversion is OK but now I have find problems: Due to the fact that other records were written with other greek keybords (there are 3 different greek keybords: 1Greek, 2Greek old, 3Greek separated) when I search something, FM7 does not find every record of that. If I type with different greek keyboard I get different results. With other words I can't find everythng that exists in my database
If I retype something then FM7 finds it at once.
It seems that I have to retype every text in every field in every record. This, of course, is impossible (or not so clever I think).
Is there any idea? How can I make a text conversion like this?
Thanks
George of Candia
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:26 am
Hi George. What happens if you switch the language for sorting and indexing from Greek to Unicode or back to Greek from Unicode? I wonder if that would help.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:01 am
Hi John,
I did that. The result is that FM7 just sorts the records in a different order. Still I have to search two times: one with the old Greek keybord and another with the new one.
It seems that an "A" is not the same character when you type it with every keyboard. If this is true, I have to retype all my records with the same keyboard wich will take months. Or I hope that there is somewhere some script to do this job automaticaly.
Thanks anyway
George of Candia

Return to General Support