how do you count text fields?

General support questions.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:30 am
I have a bunch of addresses from my database in table view. I want to set it up so that the last field in the table counts the number of addresses that are from New York. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!
Dave
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:18 pm
< I have moved this to the general support forum as it is not really a custom functions question; sorry for the inconvenience. - John >

You have a couple of options here...

a) You can define a new field in your table that is only true if the state is new York, then build a summary field that counts this new field. This is a nice options as it works on the found set, but it takes two fields to do.

b) You can "Show" the information instead of calculating it. In this approach you'd define a summary field that counts the state field (just the plain state field, be in NY, NJ, etc.). Then, create a mini subsummary report with a subsummary part sorted by state containing your summary field. You'd then have a button on your layout that would bring up this mini report in a small popup window when needed. This option only takes one field and isn't hard-coded against a particular state (it can show the counts of all states in the found set).

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to General Support