Changing value list based on previous value list entry

General support questions.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:18 pm
Hi,

I have been working on a search page layout in FileMaker Pro 7 and I want to use fields with pop-up lists to narrow the search. The first field presents a pop-up list that should divide the search of other layouts into 6 subtopics. There are categories within each subtopic that I want to list in the second field based on the response given in the first pop-up list. I can't figure out how to do that without making a new layout page based on each possible selection (which I'd prefer not to do since I may do this many times). Any help you give would be greatly appreciated.

-Glen
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:05 am
I believe you're looking for a "conditional value list" where the options presented in Value List B depend upon what was selected in Field A. The trick to this is to make a relationship between Field A and the options you wish to select in your Value List. The records returned across that relationship would change as you select different items in Field A. Once that relationship is in place you'd create a value list that takes its contents from the related field at the end of this relationship.

FileMaker's built in help explains it a lot better: search FM7 help for "defining a value list" and click on the first entry. In point 7 on that entry you'll see a link to an "Example of a value list that includes only related field values.". Check that out.

Hope it helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to General Support