Enter Key and Slider Control

General support questions.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:41 am
Hi all,

I am using FileMaker Pro 7 with Windows 2000. I have three doubts, please help me.

1. In the data entry page i have to enter values for 12 fields. I can format the fields so that whenver i press ENTER/RETURN/TAB key, it goes to the next field. This works fine in FielMaler pro. But in IWP it is not working, When ever i press the ENTER key it is not going for the next field instead it adds one line break to that field (But tab key is working). Whenever the user presses the ENTER/RETURN key it should go to the next field, it should not add line breaks, Is there any way to do this?

2. In FileMaker Pro, Do we have slider control as like the one available in Visual Basic 6. If the user drags the slider, a field value has to change according to his movements. If we don't have a control, Is there any other way to achieve this same effect. Also this should work in IWP.

3. Can we format the tab order (like TabIndex) for the fields?

Please help guys.

Bye
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:28 am
Hi,

One of the nice things about FileMaker is you are almost never the guy at the table saying "we can't do that", but...

sudhakar wrote:1. In the data entry page i have to enter values for 12 fields. I can format the fields so that whenver i press ENTER/RETURN/TAB key, it goes to the next field. This works fine in FielMaler pro. But in IWP it is not working, When ever i press the ENTER key it is not going for the next field instead it adds one line break to that field (But tab key is working). Whenever the user presses the ENTER/RETURN key it should go to the next field, it should not add line breaks, Is there any way to do this?

Not in IWP. You're at the mercy of your web browser there.

2. In FileMaker Pro, Do we have slider control as like the one available in Visual Basic 6. If the user drags the slider, a field value has to change according to his movements. If we don't have a control, Is there any other way to achieve this same effect. Also this should work in IWP.

We don't have sliders, unfortunately. You can mimic the effect a bit by creating several buttons next to each other, each of which sets the "slide" value a little higher or lower when clicked. You can then adjust some kind of slider graphic to reflect this. (You're on your own as to what this graphic looks like.) What you end up with is something you "click" to adjust, rather than "slide" or "drag" to adjust. With a lot of trial and error you should be able to get a version to work on the web; just remember that you'll need to CommitRecords/Requests after each click on the web.

3. Can we format the tab order (like TabIndex) for the fields?

Yes. Simply enter layout mode and select Set Tab Order from the layout menu. However, this is now always respected in IWP. (Don't really have the courage to say "isn't respected"). And we usually rebuild our layouts for IWP by pasting the fields back onto the layout in the order we wish them to tab through. Doesn't take long once you get the hand of it.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:38 am
Thanks Mr.John Sindeler. So ENTER key won't work in IWP, anyway thanks for ur helps.

Bye
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:09 am
Hi All,

Regarding the tab order problem i would like to have some more clarifications from you. Please help me.

I have a layout which has a portal. This portal has 5 fields. In this 5 fields, 3 fields are read only fields and remaining 2 fields are user entry fields. As we know the read only fields wont get the tabbing. The other 2 fields are "marks" and "comments". If the user presses the Tab key, it should go to the field "marks" one by one. It shouldn't go to "comments" field. Becuase comments field is an optional field. So user can enter the marks one by one by pressing Tab key without going to the comments field. If the user wants to enter comments he can do by his mouse.

This may work well in inside the FileMaker Pro 7 environment. But can we do this in IWP?

Please help me
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:44 am
If you can't do it with tab order OR with field placement order (the order fields are added to the layout) you can't do it in IWP.

IWP doesn't respect "omitting" a field from the tab order. In FileMaker client we might do this by disallowing ability to enter the comment field in Browse mode and then writing a script that uses GoToField to enter the field; turning the field itself into a button that runs this script. The GoToField step overrides field behavior settings (field entry options) in the client, but sadly does not do so in IWP.

I think that this kind of fine level field control is one of the things we give up when using the IWP platform.

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to General Support