Sorting a value list from a related file

General support questions.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:27 am
Hi All,

I have a relatively simple drop down value list set up, the values displayed in a field (called ‘Items’) come from a value list in another file via a relationship based on the match fields ‘Language’ in both the files.

If the language field in the main file is selected as ‘English’, the drop down shows the English items to select from, if it’s French, it shows the French items etc. etc.

The problem I have is getting the drop down to show the values in the same order as they are typed in the related file’s ‘Items’ field.

i.e. I want it to behave as if it were a custom list in the main file that I can put in any order I wish. At present it is sorting the related values alphabetically which is proving a headache.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have tried loads of stuff and still cannot get it to do this.

Any help would be appreciated. It’s a Filemaker6 db.

Many thanks

DavidF
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:36 am
Hi David,

As you've found out, value lists based on field contents sort alphabetically. There is no setting in FileMaker to change that.

If you *have* to have the items sort by some other order, you're going to have to prefix the data with something that gets you the sort you need.

=(

Alternately you can switch from selecting items from a drop down list to selecting them from a portal - that gives you tons of control over the items' sort and appearance.

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:52 am
Thanks very much John.

Will give it a try with a portal.

David

Return to General Support