FM8 and the web - speed

General support questions.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:03 am
Current version of db FM6.

Hello All,

I have a 15 file db with approx 1,000 records in half the files and 10,000 - 30,000 records in the rest.
The db is relatively complex with quite a few calcs and summary fields and a lot of related scripts between files, particularly finds and sorts.
The client has offices in the UK, USA, France and Australia. There are approx 20 people per office.

The client wants a web based system which will be common to all offices. As a test we tried access on the current database (hosted on server running FM server). based in the UK, from the US offices. Not suprisingly it was very slow.

I know this is a hell of a big question, but is FM8 Web Publishing fast enough for this? Sorry to sound blasphemous but is it like a 'real' web database application?

Many thanks

Dave
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:34 am
I'll politely side step the web publishing side of this question and suggest that using FileMaker 8 client over the WAN is *dramatically* faster than FM6 and definitely worth a test. (Can't test your converted FM6 version though, because it will likely be a slow mess after a simple conversion to 8.)

You might also look at SyncDeK in FileMaker 7/8... it was designed precisely for your situation and definitely lives up to the hype.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:01 am
Thank you John.

Will give it a try.
Best regards

David
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:01 am
Thank you John.

Will give it a try
Best regards

David