IWP: How to add daughter records through script step?

General support questions.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:35 pm
Hi I am trying to convert my 5.5 to 7IWP because the fat server is just too slow. One feature we use frequently is to add a payment to a clients account. The way I have been doing this is having them fill out gloabl variables, before committing the data validating it with our business rules, then adding the data through the last row of a portal to the one-to-many related file. IWP does not allow me to go to PORTAL ROW [LAST]. Ideas on how to accomplish this?

Q2: if there are problems (like that paymen already exists on that day) I have been popping a dialog box but that is not IWP supported. Ideas how to inform IWP user?

thanks in advance, donWolf
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:28 pm
Greetings,

At the core of your problem is the fact that IWP while a fantastic feature, is not FileMaker.

There are many things you can do in FileMaker you cannot do in IWP, and those are just two of them, so at the onset, I would suggest going back to doing it in native FileMaker, rather than relying on IWP.

However that said, to create new records, related to a client, you may find it easier to store the relavant client ID, and then create the payment, and set the related ID from your stored global variable.

On the dialog side, the only real way to do this is with a layout that displays the information you want to show. There is no real way in IWP to display a pop-up, so going to a "dialog" layout is the best solution.

Hope that helps.

Court
Court Bowman, President
Cleveland Consulting, Inc.

http://www.clevelandconsulting.com/

Return to General Support