Check Boxes

General support questions.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:22 pm
I am creating a database for a school. I need to make it so that the following occurs:

Say that I have the following Value List: "Things I Need to do in Life"(with a check box near it)...

Then in the list I have such things at "Jump out of plane" and "Go to Space"...

I need it so that When I check off the TWO boxes for "Jump out of plane" and "Go to Space" that a third check box gets marked AUTOMATICALLY for "Things I need to do in life". Understand.. I hope so.. it doesnt evn have to be a check box.. A picture of a check box could load if possible... :!:
Tyler Cote
MC2 School
System Admin
40 Avon Street
Keene, NH 03431
(603) 352-4333
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:24 pm
I hope I understand what you are asking, if not I am sorry, perhaps my answer will get you closer at least.

It sounds like you want one box to check when all of it's subsidary options are marked off. So you have a field "Life", with one value - complete, and another field, we'll call it "Goals" with some number of possible values, all in a value list set to display as check boxes. You then want "life" to get flagged complete when all of the boxes for "Goals" are checked.

If this is indeed the case then this is one way you could go about it.

I will assume that there are the two fields I described above, and there are also two value lists, "GoalsList" and some value list for LIfe, that I'll call "LifeList", but you can name anything. GoalsList can contain any number of items, and LifeList contans only one value "Complete".

You then want Life to be defined as a text calculation set to equal:

Code: Select all
If ( Exact ( ValueListItems ( "test" ; "GoalsList") ; LeftWords ( FilterValues ( ValueListItems ( "test" ; "GoalsList") ; Goals) ; WordCount ( Goals ) ) ) ; "Complete" ; "")

Much of this is to deal with the fact that FileMaker does not consistently deal with lists of values, but will get the job done.

If you need any more clarification, just let me know.
Court Bowman, President
Cleveland Consulting, Inc.

http://www.clevelandconsulting.com/
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:50 pm
It's a Start. When I click on one of the check boxes for the goals, it automatically checks off the box for Life... I dont want the Life box to be checked until ALL goals are complete
Tyler Cote
MC2 School
System Admin
40 Avon Street
Keene, NH 03431
(603) 352-4333
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:04 am
If that is the case then something has been lost in translation. The way the files are setup in my description, the dependant checkbox should only check when all the original checkboxes are checked.

If you want you can send me your file that you are using to try it and I will see where the differences are.
Court Bowman, President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:29 pm
As a point of clarification, the name of both the file and the value list are hardcoded in this example, this will need to be changed to the name of your file (test) in my example, and the name of your value-list (GoalsList) in my example.

I have bolded them in the recopied code below:

If ( Exact ( ValueListItems ( "test" ; "GoalsList") ; LeftWords ( FilterValues ( ValueListItems ( "test" ; "GoalsList") ; Goals) ; WordCount ( Goals ) ) ) ; "Complete" ; "")
Court Bowman, President

Return to General Support