Updating a FileMaker Pro db from version 6 to version 8

General support questions.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:36 pm
I need to update a FileMaker Pro 6 database to Version 8. Is there a checklist or any list that I have to go through??

Thax 4 any help.

James
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:06 am
James wrote:Is there a checklist or any list that I have to go through??

Yes. You should check out the white papers under the heading Migration Topics here. Start with the first one, "Migration foundations and methodologies".
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:52 pm
Hi John,

Thanks for your advise, the links are VERY good!

Just one more question I have if you could help me PLEASE.

My database contains allot of relationships (~500) and scripts (~2,500) that activated in the main file and located in an external files.

Each of these scripts is not complex, no fancy nothing, just "go to related records" and then set some fields and that is it.

My concern is loosing the relationships or the script references as a result of the upgrade to version 8.

Do I have to test every script, relationship after the upgrade (a solid 4 weeks work) or just upgrade and that is it. Basically, is it "normal" to loose relationships and script references even in a simple database

By the way, the database is a critical application for the large company so last thing I want is to give them a faulty software.

Thanks in advance!

James
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:17 pm
Hi James,

For a complex solution, it is likely you will need to spend a considerable amount of time getting the migration right. Those migration papers can give you a pretty good description of the possible problems to look for. If you know you use some of those techniques that have issues, then you know where to focus your attention. But I'd recommend testing all layouts and scripts anyway (or at least looking through them all to make sure the migration issues are accounted for.)

During the migration process, you will probably find things that can be done more efficiently if the tables are combined or scripts are rewritten to take advantage of the new features of FM7/8. In fact, some developers have chosen rewrite solutions entirely in FM7/8, as it turns out to be easier in some cases. The Migration Foundations and Methodologies white paper does a good job of explaining what's involved with migration, and outlines the processes involved.

If you're set on converting, I highly recommend purchasing Metadata Magic to assist with analyzing your current solution (helps immensly with removing unused elements,) and fixing/combining file references prior to conversion.
Last edited by Ender on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:18 pm
James wrote:Do I have to test every script, relationship after the upgrade (a solid 4 weeks work) or just upgrade and that is it. Basically, is it "normal" to loose relationships and script references even in a simple database.

This is certainly a topic on which you'll want to get a number of opinions. That said, it is not normal to "loose" relationships. The FMI engineering team has done an amazing job of maintaining FM6 structures in the conversion process. However, solutions with a large number of relationships may find that their file references and/or graphs are too complex after conversion. In this case "too complex" would mean slowness (sometimes dramatic slowness) and/or a formidable overhead for any new changes. Some people think about it like this- for a complex solution, conversion is cool if you're going to make relatively few changes moving forward. If you're going to mod this thing every day for the foreseeable future, I would content that a straight conversion is not ideal.

The links posted above discuss other strategies, such as converting to get your data tables and building new interface files. Or converting and building any new features in new interface files. You'll find people call this "migrating" to FileMaker 7 / 8 and reserve the term "converting" for the actual process of opening the FM6 file in 7/8.

If you're dealing with a big system you should definitely read all of the migration white papers thoroughly before you start.

On a personal note I'd remind you that building fresh objects in FM7 / 8 is *much* faster than building similar features in FM6. To make sure you make the most of that I'd suggest you build some fresh stuff in FM7/8 before you convert- maybe build a new mini ap- so that you're experience of the tool set is not filtered by the problems and structures embedded in your FM6 files.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:59 pm
Sorry, forgot to mention......

There are no layouts, value lists, passwords, etc. the only two things is relationships and sub scripts and a very few number fields (no global, no containers) and no pictures.

Basically the whole database is for calculations (Rebate calculations (very complex number calculations)) and then the manager looks into the result once a day.

I have to update to Version 8 ("migration" or what ever it called) and give it to the client.

So what I have done so far is: I opened FileMaker Pro 8, selected New from the File menu and selected all the files and as they opened, they have been converted to Version 8.

Now, what I would like to know is:

Can I give it to the client without ANY additional work?

OR

Shall I tell the client that I have to work on it for the next 4 weeks, going through all the relationships and scripts. I don't want to rip them off if I don't need to do the job.

There is no "in between" option, I can't say that I am suspecting that something is wrong and I need to perform a basic test. This is their critical application. Or I go through a 4 week solid work or nothing.

Oh, one more thing... the files have never been damaged or crashed.

Is anybody experienced a situation that FileMaker Pro destroyed perfectly good relationships or perfectly good file references just by going through the update process

Thank you all!

James
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:24 pm
James wrote:Can I give it to the client without ANY additional work?

No.

James wrote:Is anybody experienced a situation that FileMaker Pro destroyed perfectly good relationships or perfectly good file references just by going through the update process

Not "destroyed" but changed, certainly (and often). If the goal is "no change" then you'll need to go through it and at least look for items identified in the tech briefs as issues.

One plan could be to hold off on telling your client anything, read all the tech briefs, and then give them a plan for migrating- including a more realistic estimate of how long you think it will take.

Metadata Magic might be a good part of this planning process.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:17 pm
Thank you ALL for your advise!

I informed the client that some additional work is required (I did show them the e-mails that I got) and they authorized the 4 weeks work for me so they don't look at me as a crook and I feel better to do the work as it is not a 100% redundant.

Cheers to all of you, you are great!

James.

Return to General Support