question about fields

General support questions.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:02 pm
I have two databases (db1 and db2) that are setup as a relational database. I have a field (expiration date) that is in both. If an expiration date is typed in db1, I want it to update in db2. And vice versa, when I type in expiration date in db2, I want it to update in db1.
Is this possible? So far I've only been able to have the user type the update in db1 and it will update in db2 but not backwards.
Thanks for your time!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:59 am
Why not just store it in one table and use the relationship between them to refer to it from other tables?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:16 pm
because if I have someone entering data in db1, i need them to enter the expiration date there. If I have someone entering data in db2, I need them to enter the expiration date there. It has to go both ways. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:54 am
Greetings,

The data can still live in one table and be referred from the other table. What Ender is pointing out is that simple relational architecture allows what you are asking for without jumping through any hoops.

Imagine two tables A and B. field 1 living in table A can be referenced, changed and entered from either table if there is a relationship that provides access to an individual record from table B. The location for the data should be obvious based on what data type it is an attribute of. If it is not apparent what table it should be a member of, perhaps they do not need to be separate tables.

If you can give us the data in question and the relationship type, we can perhaps be of more help.

Court

guest wrote:because if I have someone entering data in db1, i need them to enter the expiration date there. If I have someone entering data in db2, I need them to enter the expiration date there. It has to go both ways. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Court Bowman, President
Cleveland Consulting, Inc.

http://www.clevelandconsulting.com/

Return to General Support