text formatting

General support questions.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:06 am
Basic user to Filemaker - Help appreciated

How do I automate the following:-

peter smith

So when I enter this text it automatically inserts the text as Peter Smith . the "p" and the "S" being shown as uppercase.

Thanks

Martin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:25 am
There's an Upper() function that can do this. However, it has limitations. It doesn't handle odd names very well. VanDenBerg would incorrectly be changed to Vandenberg, and McKnight would incorrectly be changed to Mcknight.

I've seen various solutions that attempt to parse the names for the special cases, with differing degrees of success. A recent custom function from Codemaster's Workshop looks pretty good, if you have access to FM7 Developer or FM8 Advanced:

http://www.codemastersworkshop.com/downloads.html

See the "Universal Capitalizer" demo.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:17 am
Hi Ender
Thanks for the reply.

I have filemaker 8. I have loaded the programme and can see it works fine. How do I integrate this into my own database as I cannot see the capitalizer in my file. I have gone into "Auto enter" and can see it but will not work when I put into my own database.

New to filamker so further help would be appreciated.

Thanks

martin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:41 pm
As I said, you would need FM7 Developer or FM8 Advanced to install the custom functions. Thought perhaps you had one of them, since you posted to the "Custom Function" forum previously.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:43 pm
No, just have Filemaker 8. How would I do this with the upper function?

Thanks

Martin
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:56 am
jeemart wrote:No, just have Filemaker 8. How would I do this with the upper function?

When you define your auto enter calc (something like Upper (LastNameField) ) make sure you uncheck the "Do not replace existing value of field (if any)" checkbox right below the "Calculated Value" checkbox. This is all done on the Auto Enter tab of the field's Options window.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:14 pm
Excellent got that and it works fine.

Thanks

M
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:12 pm
My above reference to the "Upper()" function should be to the "Proper()" function. Sorry for the confusion.

Return to General Support