Stop Portals turning black when entered? FM8

General support questions.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:40 am
FM8

Hi All,

I have a portal layout with four fields on it and a button which activates a script.

The format prohibits entry into any field as it for viewing only. Is there a way to stop the way Filemaker turns portals black when you click in them with this kind of format? I just want the portal to stay with the alternating colours I have selected and allow the user the click the script button only.

All the best.
David
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:45 am
We get around this by making the entire portal row the button (big transparent rectangle) so that when they click anywhere, the script activates.

HTH.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:35 am
Thank you John,

Thing is, the portal is essentially a list of related addresses from another table, each with its own URN. The script copies the URN of the selected portalled address and then performs a find for that address in the relevant table. Having a script working off the portal itself means that the script defaults to the first address it sees in the portal and finds that one rather than the one the user selects which could be further down the portal list.

What I’ve now done is to put a container field behind all the fields in the portal and attached the script to this. The container field is a calculation from the table with the related addresses in using an alternating colour script. This means that I can dispense with the portal doing the alternating colour and use the new field to do it.

Result is the portal can have spaces between the fields on the layout and the script operating off the alternating colour field and goes to the right record as a result and the portal does not go black.

Amazing how you start thinking once you ask someone else the answer first!

Thanks once again.
David

Return to General Support