Beginner looking for help

General support questions.
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:37 am
I am a new business owner who has been encouraged by many others in my industry to simplify my industry by using FMP. I am using version 5 and have loved it until now. I am really struggling with some basic calculations and functions and am wondering if anyone out there knows of a good source for learning how to use these?

My main problem is that I have one particular table that has two fields: One is called Paper Mill the other Paper Line. Each mill has 3 paper lines and there are about 10 mills totaling 30 lines. I want to set up this database so that when I put in a particular name of a mill ONLY the 3 paper lines associated with that mill pull up, not all 30.

Now, with all you brainiacs out there, I am sure this is about as simple as it gets, but I am truly lost. Can anyone help?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:48 am
Hi there,

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but it sounds like you need two tables (two files in FM5/6, two tables in FM7/8 ). One would hold your Mills, and the second would hold the Lines associated with a given Mill. This lines table/file would have a field for the unique ID of the Mill that a given line was related to. Then, when you're on a layout describing a Mill's record, you could have a portal of all the lines for that mill. This relationship between the mill and its line(s) can become the basis for other things like value lists of just that mill's lines.

I'd also suggest that if your starting a new project in FMP you should do it in FM8- development will go faster for you. This is partly because many of the best online learning resources for all this are pretty firmly focussed on the latest version. Check these out:

Email List with Searchable Archive:
http://www.listsearch.com/filemakerprotalk.lasso

Forum with Searchable Archive:
http://www.fmforums.com

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to General Support