Search by date

General Information about upcoming products, upgrades, etc.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:51 pm
Let me start by saying I am relatively new to Filemaker. I am currently using FM Pro 9.

I have edited the main window of the resource management db to contain the information I require. What I need to do now, is when I click on the list view, button, I want to be able to enter a date at the top of the page, and then only the results from the table on the main page will show up. To put it into perspective, I have a bunch of machines that I want to be able to track what jobs they are on and on what days. The main records window contains the machine name and then in a portal table it contains all of the accessories, the driver of the machine, what job it is on, etc.

Right now, when I go to the list view, it will only show the machines last job detail input. The problem is, I want to be able to organize the machines several days, if not weeks or months in advance, but only want to see the job details for specific dates (i.e today's date).

Any help you can offer on this would be most helpful.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:15 am
Hi there,

I believe the Resource Management database you're talking about is one of the templates in FileMaker 9 (called "Resource Scheduling"), right?

If so, the only form and list views presented are based on the "Resource Scheduling" table and show information about your machines.

What you need is a list view based on the "Projects Resource ID" table where each record is a "project" with start and end dates for a resource. Then you can perform finds on the Date Start and Date End fields in this table to see which resources are booked for those dates.

(As an aside, I should say that this template is a real mess: the table naming is very misleading, and-- as you've seen-- there is no real way to search for machine usage. Our Pro Calendars do resource scheduling very well and you might want to check them out.)

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to FileMaker Products (General)