Automatically opening my seedcode database

General Information about upcoming products, upgrades, etc.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:25 pm
Upon starting my mac I want to automatically start my seedcode database. So not only opening filemaker (i know how to do that), but directly my database. We work with filemakerserver and clients. The opening must be a remote opening.
Is this possible? Can we make an alias of the database or???
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:28 am
Sure. Open your remote database and select "Send" from the file menu, and choose "Link to database". Copy the resulting url, which looks something like this...

fmp7://servername.com/FileName

...and paste it into your browser. Now drag that url out of the browser bar on to the desktop, making an internet location document. If you've never done this before, grab the little "world" icon in Safari to the left of the web address and drag that to the desktop.

Now, open your Mac's system preferences and find the Accounts tab. Select an account and click on the Login Items tab. Use the plus sign at the bottom to add this internet location document to the list of login items.

Now when you login to your mac, it will launch your remote database.

You could also build a local FileMaker file that contained just one script: a script that upon opening, opened your remote file and then closed itself. Putting that in the account's login would do the same thing.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:06 pm
john
it took a long time before i could try your solution. but I cannot find 'send' in my remote database. the button is not there.
when I make a new database the button appears, but not with the remote database. what's wrong?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 am
Could it be that there are custom menus employed in your remote database? Try turning those off and I think you'll see "send" come back.

Best,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to FileMaker Products (General)