need some hlp with portal views

General Information about upcoming products, upgrades, etc.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:59 pm
Hello everyone!!!

I need some hlp figuring out portals a bit more.
Right now i got a layout, within it, a portal that points to the content of another table. Up to here all is goood...lol

What i want to now is, lets say i do a find on that table (from the portal) anf find a perticular set of records i need.

How can i have a portal reflect only the specific data returned from a find and not the entire content of the table. This is the second time i've encountered this and everytime i'm not sure how to proceed.

So what i do is: from the layout where the portal is, i activate a little script that searches for a specific set of records, once i have it, i want the portal to show only what as been found ...

Pseudo code here:

From layout with portal:
1.execute script
2.Inside script:
- goto layout of the table being stored in portal
- Then i proceed to finding a specific set from within
that table.
- Return bck to the layout with that portal.
- But my portal still shows the entire content of the table.
Does not seem to see that a search was done.

PS i dont do a show all records when coming bck to layout with portal.
I thought it would be as simple as applying a report layout ontop of a table where a found set was done, but portals dont seem to see it like that.

Can this be done....
Or any work arounds u think might be usefull at this point.

PS2 I cant do a list view layout here, im using a very defined layout template with limited space. So the portal would really hlp me achive this.

Thx alot for any hlp,

PAtrick
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:09 am
Hi Patrick,

I don't think portals work with found sets the way you expect them to. For example, given a record in table A that has related records in table B, a portal on a layout in A will show A's matching records in B *regardless* of the found set in B. As you mentioned in your post, "lists" are the FileMaker objects that are sensitive to found sets.

Now that doesn't mean you can't filter a portal so that it only shows specific content. For instance, you can add date range criteria to your portal so that from A you only see A's related records that fall within a certain date range (something like this) but that still has nothing to do with the found set in B.

Does that help?
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:38 am
Great thx for the ideas.

I managed to use an instance of that table with a different relationship.
So once my found set is found, i mark a temp field with an 'x' for example then i return to my layout with that instance of the portal and it will display the info that contains 'x' in them. So it looks like the portal can now see when an actual change is done to its data.

When im done, or when i go bck to that liltle script that does my search i just erase all my 'x' from that field and start over.

So i have:

TableA relationship Table B
Global that as X as value <=> temp field with X as well

so when i got bck to layout of table A
i can see that my portal (for table B) now reflects the flaged info only not all the records of table B.

Hope this hlps and its comprehencable.. :wink:

thx for the ideas again!!!

PAtrick
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:32 am
LuveUrForums wrote: i mark a temp field with an 'x' for example

Unfortunately this technique is not multi-user safe. Though it will work with a bit of refinement, I would still recommend against it.

The reason is, if you mark a record with this "x" then it is marked for everyone, not just for you. You'd have to mark it with something specific to *your* global field and also make sure that this mark field could hold multiple entries (more than 1 person might have the field in their list, for example). While these work arounds make the "marking" technique more accomodating of multiple users, there is almost no way around the fact that more than 1 user may want to mark or unmark the same record at the same time causing record lock and one of the mark/unmark operations to fail. This means someone won't see all the records they should be seeing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:51 pm
LuveUrForums wrote: i mark a temp field with an 'x' for example

Hi!
Please look a following example:
http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/d ... mo804.html

To select the found records which will be displayed in a portal, it is necessary to choose IDXs of records to global field (or calc unstored). Then will work relationship:

fFieldForRelation GLOB = fIDXOfRecordFromFoundSet

and you will see in a portal only those records which have been found.

Return to FileMaker Products (General)