Expanding the schedule view

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:29 am
We're about to buy and have another question. Can the Schedule View be expanded to show, say, 12 resources for an entire 16-hour day?

-Scott Burgess
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:54 am
Technically it could-- and the calendar has code under the hood for 10 columns (10 resources)-- but we don't recommend it due to the amount of load that represents. The scheduling screen isn't the fastest thing in the world as it is and going to even 7 (2 additional) resources is a very noticeable slow down. We've written more details about this here:

http://www.seedcode.com/faq/index.php?a ... 43&lang=en

As mentioned in that article, we'd suggest you use Resource Types to filter down the list of possible resources so you can get what you need with 5 columns.

That's really the best advice I have given the current speed of things.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:12 pm
Thanks, John. This forum is one of the reasons we're planning on using this software. The other is the ability to modify it!

We can certainly go with the horizontal layout. Can it be expanded to cover more time?

-Scott
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:24 pm
Anonymous wrote:Thanks, John. This forum is one of the reasons we're planning on using this software. The other is the ability to modify it!

I appreciate that. Thanks.

We can certainly go with the horizontal layout. Can it be expanded to cover more time?

I just have to laugh Scott because you're getting one disappointing answer from me after another. The horizontal layout is complicated and I don't say that lightly. To be honest, we included it kind of showing off-- demonstrating what changing the portal rows and stack order can do without making major code changes. The trouble with all this is two fold:

a) The layout depends on a very elaborate stack order that starts on the right edge. Some of the objects on the right edge are "under" the objects to the left of them. This means that if you wanted to expand it to the right, you'd need to make the whole layout over again, object by object. (really) This is so onerous that we've declined to do so a couple of times now.

b) The second problem is that FileMaker changed its stack order routine between FileMaker 7 and 8. The stack we're using can only be written in FM7: this means that the layout works in FM8, but can only be edited in FM7. If you do anything to the layout in FM8 it restacks and results in an unusable portal. So, you can edit the layout in FM7 and then deploy it in FM8, but this is less than optimal.

Because of both these issues, we'll be removing the horizontal orientation from future editions of the calendar. Our Gantt Chart may fill the void for some uses.

You can read more about this second issue here:
http://www.seedcode.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=688

Again, sorry for the bad news. The horizontal orientation works well as is, but including it in a template designed to be modified was a mistake on my part.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:49 pm
Hmmm, OK, that's not what I was hoping to hear, but I think we can work with it. Who knows - working in an open solution like this, perhaps we can contribute something to the melange.

I agree that working with the filter will be the best way to make it work.

Thanks for the info!

-Scott
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:00 pm
Oh, and the Gantt idea is a good one. I'll look into it...
-Scott

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)