KeyTypeName question

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:01 am
Hi

I would like to be able to use the filter function so that KeyTypeName can be used hierarchically. For example I run a theatre, so I would like all confirmed performances to be one type, all unconfirmed performances to be another type, but I would like the filter function to be able to find either all confirmed performances, or all unconfirmed performances or even just all performances confirmed and unconfirmed. How can i go about this? I have tried using KeyTypeNames with identical beginnings and different endings but it does not work. Any ideas?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:24 am
Hi, not completely sure I follow, but the filters can be set to more than one value at a time. So you could have the filters set to show "confirmed" and "unconfirmed" at the expense of all others.

Some people preface types as you suggested ("performance - unconfirmed") but that just makes it easier to see the types next to each other (they sort alphabetically).

Does the filter-for-two-types-at-once thing help or am I missing something?
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:45 am
Hi,
You have understood correctly. At least I think so. So how do you go about having the filters set to show "confirmed" and "unconfirmed" at the expense of all others?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:05 pm
Ah. I forgot you're using a slightly older calendar (in the new FM8 calendar this is much simpler, you just click on the two types, they both highlight green, and you're all set).

In yours you'll want to hold down the shift key after selecting your first item, and then select the second. You'll see a check mark the beside each. Alternately you can change the formatting of that field to checkboxes where multiple selection is a bit easier.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 pm
Thanks. That's all I needed to know. I am a little surprised about the new version. I only bought mine a couple of weeks ago. Is it easy to integrate the newer method of filtering types?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:18 am
[Alternately you can change the formatting of that field to checkboxes where multiple selection is a bit easier.]

To do this I need to increase the size of the "Mini Window Filter Calendar" to make the checkboxes visible. However the size of the Mini Window seems to be impossible to modifiy. Is that the case? If not how do you unlock it?[/quote]
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:36 am
dysong3 wrote:To do this I need to increase the size of the "Mini Window Filter Calendar" to make the checkboxes visible. However the size of the Mini Window seems to be impossible to modifiy. Is that the case? If not how do you unlock it?

Hi there,

Good question.

The layout isn't locked, however when you're entering data you always visit the layout in the midst of a paused script so you can't edit the layout at that point.

Instead, enter layout mode from the Daily view (use the "Show Status Area" script to show the stat bar first) and then navigate to the "Mini Window Filter Calendar" layout using the layout list in the stat bar. Once there you can change the size of the layout.

dysong3 wrote:I am a little surprised about the new version. I only bought mine a couple of weeks ago. Is it easy to integrate the newer method of filtering types?

We sell CC Calendar, which you purchased, alongside SeedCode Calendar, the newer one, as they fit slightly different needs. CC Calendar requires FileMaker 7 or higher while SeedCode Calendar requires FileMaker 8 or higher. The newer calendar is also a bit more expensive and contains a full contact and project management section that no everyone needs.

For what its worth, I always recommend that folks get the simplest version they can use-- so that you're not wading through extra, possibly unused code for the life of your solution.

One could certainly add the new method of filtering to CC Calendar, but it is a good deal of work. The idea is that you select the types you're interested in from a portal instead of entering them directly into a field. You can see how this works in the 10 day demo of SeedCode Calendar if you're interested.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 am
John Sindelar wrote:

The layout isn't locked, however when you're entering data you always visit the layout in the midst of a paused script so you can't edit the layout at that point.

Instead, enter layout mode from the Daily view (use the "Show Status Area" script to show the stat bar first) and then navigate to the "Mini Window Filter Calendar" layout using the layout list in the stat bar. Once there you can change the size of the layout.

That's strange as I was able to get to "Mini Window Filter Calendar" in layout mode but was unable to increase the size of the body. i can modify all the items in the layout but cannot increase the size of the window
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:52 am
You'll want to grab the lower edge of the body itself and drag it down. If you can't quite get your mouse to grab this you can select the body part by clicking on the "tab" that shows the word "body" and the use the View / Object Info pallet to change the size of the body by typing a new size in there.

Lastly you may have some locked objects on there so just to be sure, select all the objects on the layout and choose "Unlock" from the Arrange menu.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:50 am
Thanks

I've been using Filemaker since 1986 and consider myself pretty capable. But sometimes the dumbest thing have you stumped. Of course the Object Info pallet was the way to go.

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)