type-based users

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:49 am
Hi John

I use CCCalendar to schedule three different organizations that I run as well as my personal stuff. Different users from each of these organizations have access to the file to consult and modify the scheduling of their particular organization. The problem is that any given user has access and can modify information that doesn't concern them. Is it possible or feasible to have it so that when a particular account user logs in, they can only see the events based on a given ApptKeyTypeCalc type? Or is this too much to ask? Obviously I can run three different versions, one for each organization, but then I would be missing a composite global view which I personally need. Do you have any ideas on implementing a solution here?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:00 am
FileMaker makes it pretty easy to keep all this in one file: FileMaker's built-in Access Privileges can be used for this sort of thing.

You can use FileMaker's access privileges to "limit" access to a record when the record's type doesn't match the types available to the logged in user (or to the logged in user's privilege set). In FileMaker's built in help, check out Contents > Protecting databases with accounts and privilege sets > Creating and managing privilege sets > Editing record access privileges.

On the "Editing record access privileges" page you're interested in the "Limited" option under number 4.

You can specify the types available to each Privilege set right in the Access Privileges calculations themselves.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:31 am
Great! Thansk for that. It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. I don't think I've found the right formula yet though. In the "Custom record privileges" I tried limiting view and edit in CCCalAppts to ApptType = "xxx" or "yyy" or "zzz". These being the three types for which I want to limit the viewing and editing. However when I log in as the user who should only be able to view or edit these types, I can still see all the other data. How should I formulate this limitation?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:24 pm
Since an appointment can be of more than one type (more common for "users" but...) you should stay away from "=" for these things and use PatternCount or Filter. Here is one we use:

not isempty ( Filtervalues ( ApptType ; "xxx¶yyy" ) )

Where xxx and yyy and acceptable values for ApptType. Returns a 1 when any of the acceptable values are present.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:06 pm
Wow That's exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot.

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)