Chenging the "New Appointment" layout???

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:04 am
I have an existing database that we do invoicing and workorders. I was trying to intergrate the calender into our invoices for scheduling purposes. I have run into a wall with the "New Apointment" layout. I spoke with someone at CC support and he said to follow the directions in the FAQ. I did and got so far, now im stuck. I have mulitple related tables and when the "new Apointment opens now it gives many errors. Also, after finaly being able to click through the errors and creat a record, it does not show up on the calendar. PLEASE someone help me. I am not new to filemaker. I have put together the whole invoiceing system we use, but I am no means a pro. Any help would be great. I can email the FM7 file if anyone wants to see the mess I have made.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:20 am
Jaosn Fehrs wrote:I can email the FM7 file if anyone wants to see the mess I have made.

Tempting offer ;-)

While I imagine you'll want to start over with a fresh copy of the calendar, I'd be glad to take a look at the files and offer some suggestions. Feel free to email them to [email protected]
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:34 pm
OK. I tried pointing to another completly new file. The problem I am running into now is that the Apointment does not show up on the calendar. I have recreated a new Appt file with only the "required" fields and have the fields maped in the AppointmentsDaily Mini Edit Window. It does not save the Appointment in the the calendar when I click Continue.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:00 am
<< Jason emailed me the files back channel >>

Hi Jason,

There were a few things you'll want to correct to get this working. You're right that the fields aren't mapped right on the layouts, but that is easier to fix once the records are showing up. ;-)

Here is why the records weren't showing up.

1. ApptKeyUserCalc was set to return a number; this should return text. Also, you'll want to uncheck the "do not evaluate" box so that this evaluates even if there is no user.

2. On the data side, you need to enter a start date for any appointment. The 8/25 record you sent as a sample only had that as an end date. Perhaps this is a field mapping artifact.

3. The relationship in CCCalendar from CalendarDaily to AppointmentsDaily needs to use ApptKeyDateRangeCalc on the Appointments side instead of the ApptEndDateCalc you're using.

Make those changes and records should start showing up for you.

Best,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:01 am
Ok. Thank You. I will try all those things. Seems so imple when you describe the problems. LOL
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:13 pm
Ok. So I got my little file working and the apointments ARE showing in the calander view now. Since I got it working I went to adding my own fields now. I added a field "CustomerID" and then added a file relationship between CustomerID in MY Appointments file (called Work Orders) to ID in Customer Managment. Now I get "UNRELATED TABLE" errors. I tried adding a CustomerID to the CCcalander database but yet still says unrelated. ARGGG... So confusing. Please help. Do i need to relate the Customers to more than just my Work Orders file?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:52 am
It *sounds like* you want to place the relate customer name inside the appointment's portal row on the calendar's daily view. If this is the case you have two options:

1. You can related the Customer ID in WorkOrders to your Customer ID in Customers.. but do so in the Graph of the CCCalendar file. Then place the related field from the related table occurrence of customers in the portal row.

2. If you don't define the relationship in CCCalendar, but just in your WorkOrders file, you'll have to create a calc field in WorkOrders that gets the name from Customers. Then put that calc in the portal in CCCalendar.

In no case should there be a Customer ID defined in any of the tables of the CC Calendar file.

BTW, I've only briefly looked at the FM7 Authorized Training book that FileMaker offers, but it does have some excellent discussions of this whole relationship thing and how the graph works. I'd recommend it as a calendar (a pretty complicated relational object) isn't the easiest example of these concepts.

The FileMaker 7 Traininig book / CD can be found here: http://store.filemaker.com/r1.html#protraining

You can learn more about training here: http://www.filemaker.com/support/training.html

HTH.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:32 pm
WOW. OK... Thats sound complicated. I have a few books on FMP7 but your database eludes me. In anycase. I have been trying to modify the Appoinments Mini Edit Window. I wonder if there is a way to modify the script that opens that mini window and have it open a completely different file all together. EG; have the script open MY work oders file and then only pull the information I want into the Daily and Monthly portal. If that sounds like more work to you then maybe you can give me a clue on what kind of Calc's should I be learning to make. It seems that the CCcal is pulling related info from the CCappts file but what relationship is it using? I thought it was the date but no. Oh well, back to work. I'll get it eventualy.

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)