PDA & CCalendar

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:35 am
How can we sync ccalendar with a PDA ? Does anybody know a solution?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:14 am
Hi.

I don't think there are any simple solutions here...

You can export calendar appointments to the iCal format and use your ical to send them to the Palm, but there is no good way to complete the round trip and get modified appointments back from Palm.

VizMotion makes (made?) an excellent conduit between FileMaker and Palm, and you could use this to modify CC Calendar in such a way that a round trip synch was possible, but I'm not sure the VizMotion product works in FileMaker 7. If it does, this is your best bet.

You can always use FileMaker mobile to move the appointments database to and from your palm; but that wouldn't really "look" like a calendar; though it would have your appointments and let you search for and modify them. We're all a little more excited about this in Mobile 8 with its ability to synch with multi-user FileMaker files.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:54 am
Any developments on this topic John?

Trying to figure out the best way to facilitate syncing of Calendar data with iPhone...

Also, the big iPhone question...do you see FM for iPhone in our future?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:07 am
Hi there,

No developments on actually synching, though you use our calendar to export your appointments to iCal and then synch that with your iPhone. Edits made on the iPhone are not brought back into FileMaker, however.

Alternately you can subscribe to our calendar from iCal and then synch that with your phone (pretty cool). Of course edits made on the iPhone don't synch back to FileMaker.

But, you heard it here first, we'll be releasing a new version of our calendar at DevCon and this will have a new Instant Web Publishing component with an optional iPhone-specific interface. You'll be able to complete basic tasks on the iPhone like edit and filter your appointments and make new appointments, along with adding and editing contacts and projects. It's very cool and integrates with the cell phone, email, and maps applications on the iPhone. (You can call & email contacts right from the IWP pages.) Very fast over Edge, screaming fast over wifi.

We haven't settled on pricing yet but we'll have discounted upgrades for existing licensees and free upgrades for everyone who has bought SeedCode Calendar in July.

Better than synching. =)
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:58 am
This would be a good time to seek clarification on “upgradingâ€
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:42 pm
You're right about upgrading; once you begin making serious changes to your copy, taking advantage of a new version is trickier. Some people re-make the changes they've made in the new version, some folks "raid" the new version for ideas / code / layouts and add features from it into their current systems.

When it comes to the new IWP module, it is a little easier as it has a pretty simple graph. One could just repoint its graph at your current solution, making whatever changes were necessary to get it to see your appointments the way it sees those in the new calendar. My hunch is that this isn't a ton of work, but may take some fiddling around.

Since this IWP module doesn't try to reproduce the whole calendar solution, just key tasks, it is a lot simpler under the hood than our current IWP module. (Oh, and the IWP module is a separate interface file, to make this even easier.)

As for an ETA, we'll announce during DevCon and have the product up on the site then as well.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:49 pm
Very cool. I look forward to spending some time with it.

Please tell me that the "To-Do's" are included in this iPhone module...
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:18 pm
Can't say much more, unfortunately, but I hear you.

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)