Export to iCal in OSX 10.4 (Tiger)

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:32 pm
Hello John,

I have just upgraded to OSX 10.4

I can't find where iCal stores its calendars now - I suspect it is storing them differently from OSX 10.3

Can you help me so I can reenable CCCalendar exporting?

Ian
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:28 am
I'm unfortunately not one of those folks who are *deep* into how the Mac works, but I don't think you need to know any special place to do the iCal export thing in Tiger.

I just upgraded to Tiger myself and exported my calendar from CC Calendar to iCal. My export goes into my FileMaker Calendar folder in my documents folder (right beside CC Calendar). I just subscribe to it from there by double clicking on the exported file. iCal doesn't seem to care where I've put it.

After exporting, I run iSync to move the appointments into my cell phone's calendar (a Nokia 6620, newly supported in Tiger's iSync). Works like a champ.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:20 am
Thanks, however ...

I was previously able to auto automate the "subscribe to iCal" by overwriting the iCal file where iCal held its calendars. That meant when I HotSynced my Palm, iCal already knew about it.

I have successfully now exported to a file, double-clicked it to get iCal to import the events (not really a subscribe), and would be able to HotSync from there. However the second time I do the same operation, I get duplicate events, because the data is imported afresh.

When you do it, do you delete your old iCal calendar before importing?

Can you suggest a way to automate the transfer from the exported file to iCal, not duplicating events?

Ian
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:03 am
Ian R wrote:Thanks, however ...

I was previously able to auto automate the "subscribe to iCal" by overwriting the iCal file where iCal held its calendars. That meant when I HotSynced my Palm, iCal already knew about it.

I have successfully now exported to a file, double-clicked it to get iCal to import the events (not really a subscribe), and would be able to HotSync from there. However the second time I do the same operation, I get duplicate events, because the data is imported afresh.

When you do it, do you delete your old iCal calendar before importing?

Yea. That is what I do when I'm going to the Nokia.

In general, I upload to our web server where the files overwrite each other as you described. Can't send subscribed calendars to the Nokia, however.

So I *don't* know of a way to do the file overwriting trick on the local machine in Tiger. Maybe someone else does.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:29 am
Hi John and Ian-

Try adding in a FileMaker-called AppleScript. Could be something like this:

Code: Select all
set theOldFile to "thePathTo:theOldFile"
set theNewFile to "thePathTo:theExportedCalendarFile"
tell application "Finder"
    delete file theOldFile
    move theNewFile to theOldFile
end tell

Now, I haven't tried this exact script, but it should be at least close to what you want to do, I think.[/code]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:56 pm
Thanks for your help TheCharlie

Just looking at the Applescript, it seems to do what I can do already, but not what I can't.

I can get CCCalendar to successfully overwrite the exported iCal file with a new export, however the problem is to do with iCal. The next step is to get the exported information into iCal, without manual intervention & without duplication of events. And - even more - into an iCal Calendar that can be synced usising iSync.

I probably need to learn about Applescripting iCal. Applescript is a yet-to-be-investigated area for me.

Ian
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:59 pm
Got it. Not sure if this works or not, but worth a try. Try subscribing to a calendar at your localhost. Maybe even try turning on personal web sharing and saving the calendar file into the sites directory, then subscribe that way.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:40 pm
Thanks.

I am not sure how to go about subcribing to my "localhost".

However - I now write the export file to my sites folder, have web sharing turned on, iCal does subscribe to the file, and it will sync to my Palm! With an automatic refesh set in iCal, and an automated export from CCCalendar, I should get a fairly up-to-date calendar on my Palm from CCCalendar (via lots of things!).

Thanks for your help

Ian

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)