Checking for conflict *before* exit

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:59 pm
I have just purchased a copy of the cc calendar SE. My first reaction is "Woh". I have never seen such a complicated relationship diagram.

In our implementation, we do not allow booking of the same resource at the same time. I need to implement checking for conflict before commit. Following your instruction in the About, I am suppose to test for a record being present in AppointmentsDailyConflicts...and so on .I was stuck at this point and I could not seem to get this to work.

Appreciate you can show me how?

Thank you very much
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:15 am
Sure.

Below you'll find an edited version of the "Edit Appointment - Continue" script which checks for conflict before allowing you to leave the Edit Appointment Mini Window. The new content in this script can be found between the comments "Begin Conflict Test" and "End Conflict Test" near the middle of the script. Enter this content into your script in the same place and you'll be all set. You may want to read the description which follows as it describes how to broaden the calendar's definition of a conflict- something I think you may want to do.

Here is what this script is doing.

First, we look into the AppointmentsDailyConflicts relationship to see if there are any records present. (This "looking" is done in the Not IsEmpty test.) This relationship is only true for records that conflict with the current record being edited. Note that this is one of the relationships you'll want to edit if you'd like to broaden the calendar's definition of a conflict. For instance, you'll see that "ApptUser" is a criteria in this relationship. That means that appointments will only be considered conflicting if they overlap, share a resource AND share a user. You can remove this user criteria to have records flag as conflicting if they simply share a resource and overlap time wise.

You'll want to make the same edit to AppointmentsDailyConflictsInclusive. This relationship is almost exactly like AppointmentsDailyConflicts except that it includes the current record. That is, AppointmentsDailyConflicts omits the current record from the conflict (all records conflict with themselves, right) and we us that relationship to test for the conflict. We use AppointmentsDailyConflictsInclusive to go to the conflicting records so that users can resolve the conflict.

Hope that helps,

John

The script...
Code: Select all
If [ Get ( ScriptParameter ) = "Prev" or Get ( ScriptParameter ) = "Next" ]
     Commit Records/Requests
          [ No dialog ]
     Set Field [ CalendarDaily::GlobText1; If ( CalendarDaily::GlobNum1 =? Get ( RecordModificationCount ) ; "Modified" ; CalendarDaily::GlobText1 ) ]
     If [ Get ( ScriptParameter ) = "Prev" ]
          Go to Record/Request/Page
               [ Previous ]
     Else
          Go to Record/Request/Page
               [ Next ]
     End If
Else
     #Leave editing record and close mini window.
     Commit Records/Requests
          [ No dialog ]
     Set Field [ CalendarDaily::GlobText1; If ( CalendarDaily::GlobNum1 <> Get ( RecordModificationCount ) ; "Modified" ; CalendarDaily::GlobText1 ) ]
     #
     #Begin Conflict Test
     If [ not IsEmpty ( AppointmentsDailyConflicts::PrimeApptIDX ) ]
          Go to Related Record [ From table: “AppointmentsDailyConflictsInclusive”; Using layout: <Current Layout> ]
          [ Show only related records ]
          Beep
          Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Conflicting Records"; Message: "This record conflicts with another for the same resource, please resolve this conflict before
continuing. (You may now scroll through the conflicting records.)"; Buttons: “OK” ]
          Pause/Resume Script [ Indefinitely ]
          Exit Script [  ]
     End If
     #End Conflict Test
     #
     #Create repetitions if necessary.
     If [ Count ( AppointmentsDailyRepeating::PrimeApptIDX ) = 1
// There is only 1 related record, the selected appoitment related to itself by virtue of its ApptKeyRepeatIDX being set to its own PrimeIDX ]
          Perform Script [ “Create Repetitions” ]
     Else
          Close Window [ Name: Get ( ScriptParameter ) ]
          If [ CalendarDaily::CalShowFullBackgroundsGlob <> "Yes" and not IsEmpty ( CalendarDaily::CalTempLayoutGlob ) ]
               #Return from Simple Layout
               Go to Layout [ CalendarDaily::CalTempLayoutGlob ]
          End If
          If [ CalendarDaily::GlobText1 = "Modified" ]
               Perform Script [ “Commit and Refresh” ]
          End If
          Set Field [ CalendarDaily::GlobText1; "" ]
     End If
End If

Going Further.

Note that this script does not check to see if newly created repetitions of an appointment (repeating events) conflict with existing records. To to that you'd want to write a new script which loops through the found set. Performing the Not IsEmpty test from our new content above. You'd run this new script within the one above after the Perform Script [ “Create Repetitions” ] step. I'll leave it to you to add that if you need it.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)