Link to Service Tickets?

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:38 am
i'd like to tie another database into the calendar - it's a service database (we're an apple service provider) i would like to be able to connect a service ticket back to a specific event in the day view. would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

thanks very much.

warm regards,
/tc
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:39 am
There are two basic approaches to this....

1 • Making (some) appointments children of service tickets. In this situation you'd add a new attribute to the CCCalAppts (appointments) table. Adding a field for a "service ticket ID" would let you link appointments to service tickets. In this way some of your appointments would be related to service tickets while others could represent non-service business or personal items. The simplest UI for this is to create a table reference for CCCalAppts in your Service Ticket file and place a portal of appointments on the Service Ticket layout: this relationship would be between the ticket's "service ticket ID" and the newly created field in appointments. Using this portal you can create any number of appointments for a ticket.

Going further you can change the Appointment Title field in CCCalAppts to use an auto enter calc that says something like if (not isempty ( appointmentsdaily::serviceticketID ) ; servicetickets::tickettitle ; "" ). This would automatically title service-appointments with the title of the relevant ticket. Finally, if each service ticket has only one date and time, you can use a single pair of date - time fields from the related appointments table on your service ticket layout instead of a whole portal. If the relationship from service tickets to appointments allows creation of related records, then just typing in a date and time will create the related appointments and, given the auto enter calc trick above, title it for you.

This approach effectively moves your tickets' date and time from the ticket table to the appointments table.

2 • The second approach would involve swapping out our "other items" table for your service tickets table. In this scenario you'd move the calcs we use in other items into service tickets and then point those table occurrences in the calendars graph from our other items table
to your tickets table. Service tickets wouldn't be on the same "calendar" as regular appointments but you could see them in their own month view and in their own portal on the daily view.

Hard to say which approach is better or easier, but I imagine that one will strike you as being more useful for your business.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)