Only see MY appointments

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:10 am
Greetings,

We are thinking of opening another location or two in the next year. I was wondering if it would be possible for each location to log-in and only see records that are relevant to their location, but at the same time allowing the 'main office' to see all records from all locations?

Thanks for any tips/insight you can provide!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:14 am
JR,

You have a couple of options here. You can use the "filters" in our calendar to restrict one location to seeing only appointments for its users. In this approach you'd write scripts to pre-filter the calendar based on who has logged in. You'd further restrict the filters value lists themselves to show only users appropriate to a given location.

A second approach - one that is perhaps easier - is to use FileMaker's built in Access Privileges to restrict which appointments a given logged in user can see. In this approach you'd create one privilege set for each location and associate all your login accounts with one of these locations. You'd then edit the "records" access of these privilege sets to only allow access to the appointments for each location. You can even allow users from each location to "see" items from the other location, but only to be able to edit their own. A third privilege set for the Main Office could allow access to all records.

If you haven't delved into FileMaker's Access Privileges before, this is a rich area worth investigating. Search FileMaker's built in help for "Access Privileges" and read up.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:41 am
It looks like the glitch you had the other day may have gotten my last post. I've been working on defining privilege sets to only see records from specific users. The code you posted worked fine--users with that privilege set only see their own records. I have two users who use that set--"A" only sees his records, and "B" only his. My problem now--I need a set that lets the user see everything EXCEPT "A" and "B". I tried the following calc:

Records can be viewed when:

(ApptUser [not equal] "A") and (ApptUser [not equal] "B")

The calc has the symbol in place of the [not equal].

It works if I set it up for only one of the above; however, when I try to exclude both "A" and "B" it still shows both. I don't get any flak from ScriptMaker about the syntax, so obviously my logic is missing something here... (I get that comment about a lot of things besides FileMaker...)

Thanks for any help,

Jerry[/u]
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:42 pm
Thanks for reposting this Jerry. The following will evaluate as true if the appointments is not for AA or BB:
Code: Select all
FilterValues ( AppointmentsDaily::ApptUser ; "AA¶BB" ) = ""

We use filtervalues() here instead of equals because an appointment can be for more than one user. So if you wanted to rewrite the positive case (User = AA) this way, it would look like:
FilterValues ( AppointmentsDaily::ApptUser ; "AA" ) <> ""
or
FilterValues ( AppointmentsDaily::ApptUser ; "AA" ) = "AA¶"
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:45 pm
John,

Would you mind reposting the script you had originally posted for JR that would automatically filter based on the current user login?

Nate

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)