Why use Tahoma font?

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:49 pm
I'll be implementing CC Calendar in a mixed Windows / Mac environment.

I've read in the FAQ that you're now using Tahoma so it looks better on Windows.

Why not Verdana or Trebuchet?

Is there a reason you went with Tahoma? In web, Tahoma on Windows translates to Geneva on the Mac. Verdana = Verdana and Trebuchet = Helvetica on the Mac. This may not be relevant in FileMaker though?

I want to make sure I pick the most cross-platform font.

Any thoughts?

Guy
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:53 am
Thanks for the post. I don't think those web substitutions are relevant to FileMaker: Tahoma is common on both XP and OSX machines so it seems a safe bet it won't be substituted.

As for Verdana, I think Tahoma is just a bit tighter left to right and lets us use longer field labels when we want to.

You can always make a simple layout with several sizes of the different fonts you're interested in and open the layout up on a bunch of Macs and XP machines to see how it looks. (You might want to place some grid lines on the layout so you can see which fonts change their spacing or get substituted on different platforms.)
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:01 pm
Thanks for that,

I just made an FM file with four posible cross-platform fonts in fields and the layout and sent it to a friend with Windows XP. He'll take a screen shot and I'll compare.

If there's any difference, I'll post the results here, otherwise I assume they will look exactly the same on each platform.

Thanks for the offer though - helpful as always!

Guy

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)