Which Version?

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:07 am
I don't need to schedule resources so I'm clear (I think!) the features of CC Calendar Pro will meet my needs.

However, I do need to relate clients to appointments so had been thinking of linking my clients table to Calendar Pro's Appointments table and modifying the CC Appointment Details window to accommodate the additional information.

I see this is something you already do in the scheduling edition and while I'm sure I will not be able to achieve it so elegantly, is there any particular reason - apart from newbie user stupidity - why I need to opt for the SE version?

Thanks

Tony
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:03 am
Good question. If you just need the SE version for the client side of it, I'd suggest you do just what you propose and link clients to our Pro Version. You can find instructions for one way of doing that here:

http://www.seedcode.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=470

The reason we suggest this instead of just getting the Pro SE version and dismissing all the Resource stuff is that the SE calendar is a more complicated object- with a more complicated graph- and why should you wade through all that extra stuff if you don't need it. Remember, you'll likely be working in the graph of this file for years, so keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks again for your question.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:17 am
Ding.......

the sound you hear is a cyber cash register making a sale! :D

Thanks for the prompt answer, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions but really appreciate the guidance.

Tony
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:43 am
I’ve come across a problem that makes me wonder if I should have opted for the scheduling edition of CC Calendar after all.

The facility my users want is (a) to be able to “click” on a time in the HoursVisibleDaily portal on the extreme left of the daily view in order to open a corresponding appointment and (b) to see appointments displayed in the AppointmentsDaily portal in line with the corresponding time on the HoursVisibleDaily portal.

Unless I’m missing a trick, I don’t think that’s possible with this version.

So, given I am working with between one and five users (normally just one), how would it be if I upgrade to the scheduling edition and configure users as resources?

1. Could I still use the DAILY view for working with TO DO’s and when users are prepared not to see HoursVisibleDaily and AppointmentsDaily portals line-up?
2. Any fundamental problems with configuring users as resources?
3. If 2. is OK then when working with just one or two users can I change the Resource column width to provide maximum space for viewing of appointment details?

Apologies if the above is unclear or the answer too obvious but I’m trying to get my head around the logic of this.

Thanks

Tony
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:18 am
1. Could I still use the DAILY view for working with TO DO’s and when users are prepared not to see HoursVisibleDaily and AppointmentsDaily portals line-up?

Right. Shift-Clicking in the Daily view's Hours column will create a new appointment for that time, but they don't line up with the times like they do on the scheduling view.

2. Any fundamental problems with configuring users as resources?

Nope. You can even follow these instructions to let you toggle the scheduling view between showing resources (should you have any *real* resources) and users.

3. If 2. is OK then when working with just one or two users can I change the Resource column width to provide maximum space for viewing of appointment details?

After changing the field widths as you normally would, you'd need to also change the width of the transparent images used to draw the appointment bubbles. These are all the "IntMask..." images on the Interface section of the About tab.

While that isn't rocket science, it can be a bit painstaking to get the images the correct width and line everything up. You might find it easier to just place two instances of our existing graphics beside each other, changing their crop (one crop left and one crop right) so that they may a longer image. This also takes a little precision since the graphics are semi transparent and can't overlap without looking odd.

If you change the number of visible columns and still want the Prev / Next resources buttons to work, you'll need to check and edit the following:

Calcs:
Calendar::CalFilterResourcesNextCalc
Change the "Object" declaration in the Let() statement to test the right hand column, formerly HoursScheduleView::HourFilterResourceGlob05, but now perhaps HoursScheduleView::HourFilterResourceGlob02.

Scripts:
Filter Schedule Prev / Next Resources
Edit the 2nd and 3rd SetField() statements to reflect the new # of columns.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:26 am
Hope that helps.

More than helps....gives me a route to a solution. :lol:

Much appreciated.

Tony
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:18 pm
John

I’m making progress with integrating SE into our planned application and thanks to your advice I’ve managed to swap users with resources on an amended schedule layout and everyone is happy they can see appointments beside the correct time.

Next problem is that users would like the same facility on a WEEK layout, i.e. time of day lines up with appointment times!

The complexity of this when trying to juggle two or more resources (either people or “real” resources) is just too much because the screen would become unreadable but assuming we filter appointments so we are dealing with one person/resource at a time……any thoughts on how realistic it might be to combine the “side by side” display of times and appointments with a WEEK layout?

Tony
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:10 pm
Hi Tony,

Glad to hear things are moving forward.

We've played around a bit with taking the 5 columns on the scheduling view and turing them into 5 days of a week view. Looked very promising at first but as we continued it because one of those sweaters that unravel as you pull on an innocuous thread.

While I lie the idea of such a week view (you're right that it only looks good in a highly filtered state) it requires major revisions to the calendar to accomplish and is not something I'd consider a "modification". If we can smooth it out, such a layout might be a candidate for a new version of the calendar, but it may be too complicated to include.

I'm sorry. I wish it were more easily accomplished.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:16 am
John Sindelar wrote:(it...) is not something I'd consider a "modification". If we can smooth it out, such a layout might be a candidate for a new version of the calendar, but it may be too complicated to include.

I'm sorry. I wish it were more easily accomplished.

I'm not surprised! Even though the relationship graph still makes me feel I've died and gone to database Hell, I understand enough to appreciate the complexity involved. :shock:

I think the answer from this end will have to be an even closer study of when and how users access calendar information then service this in a way that concentrates on the good things the application can deliver rather than highlight something that is "missing".

Thanks for the continuing support......excellent service!

Tony

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)