Blue dots

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:18 am
I'm afraid I may have broken something: the mini-calendars in my Daily View don't show little blue dots on the dates that I have appointments scheduled. Should they?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:44 pm
They should.

These dots respect the filters, so if you have the filters excluding appts then they'll be excluded on the dots as well.

If you think you busted this you can check the graph: there is a whole section labeled "-- Mini Calendars on Daily Views --". You may have nudged the dots themselves outside the little portal rows that hold the calendar dates (likely by moving the dots up or the mini calendars down), so thats another thing to check.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:23 pm
I must have busted something. I can't seem to find anything on the graph titled "Mini Calendars on Day Views". Where on the graph would I find that?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:06 am
Sorry Jim-- I just looked up your order history-- and you're using SeedCode Calendar Pro (our latest). We removed this blue dot feature from this calendar. Sorry for not looking up your version earlier!

We removed this for two reasons. First, on a moderately busy calendar they aren't all that useful as there is usually something happening every day. However the real reason we did it was because of speed. Not only were the blue dots themselves one of the slowest aspects of CC Calendar Pro, the mini calendars they depended on were drawn using portals of records from a Days table. This meant that CC Calendar Pro had to fetch a rather large index from the server when the mini calendars were drawn--making this one of the things that slowed down the calendar when opened over a wide are network.

In SeedCode Calendar the mini calendars are drawn using custom functions; since there are no records behind them we don't need to talk to the server in order to draw them, making the daily view much "lighter" over a WAN.

Unfortunately, since there are no records behind these mini calendars, we can't display attributes about the calendar days, since there is no relationship on which to base that display. Hence the blue dots can't easily be added to SeedCode Calendar Pro.

If this is something you absolutely have to have, I could show you how to add them to the middle (current month) calendar. You'd basically replace that middle mini calendar with a small version of our month layout drawn in a portal, creating a new instance of the month portion of the graph for this middle mini calendar.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:24 am
Oh -- thanks for clarifying this, John! It sounds like we'll be better off without it, speed-wise.

Return to SeedCode Calendar