Importing Calendar Events from Previous DB

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:22 am
I'm trying to import calendared events from our previous calendar db into the SeedCode calendar to be used in FM 8.5. I've been only 1/2 successful in doing so. I managed to align the fields correctly when importing so that I can populate the calendar list view with the events, but for some reason none of these events actually show up on the calendar. If I click on the event info from list view, it shows all information properly entered, yet not a single event comes up on the regular calendar views.

Any suggestions as to how this might be happening and a way to resolve the problem?

Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:00 am
I just realized it's because none of the events are checked so that they are set to display on the calendar. Is there a way to either import them that they do or to change them all in bulk into displaying?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:17 am
Sure. You can add the ApptClass_k field to one of the appointment layouts (go to SeedCode Calendar’s daily view and click on the List icon) and then use the Records / Replace Field Contents menu to add the word "calendar" to the ApptClass_k field in each of your imported appointments.

More detailed instructions for how to this kind of import can be found here:

http://docs.seedcode.com/ccp8/show/Impo ... pointments

Hope that helps!

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:32 pm
We're upgrading from CC Calendar Pro v5.4 to SeedCode Calendar Pro 5.62 and I need to migrate a large number of events including multiple repeating events. I figured I'd start by reading the page referenced above http://docs.seedcode.com/ccp8/show/Importing+Appointments but it comes up as unavailable. Can you direct me to a page detailing the data migration procedure?
Thanks.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:27 pm
Hey there.

Sorry about that link! That was for a FileMaker 8 product we no longer offer. We don't have any instructions for importing from one events table to another as it's just a straight FileMaker import--and the field names a really similar at that. So you'd do just just as you'd import from any other FileMaker table. There are just two things I sometimes forget when doing this:

- be sure your source table has all events in the found set

- reset the event's next highest serial number (ID) after you've imported your events. If you don't the serials numbers generated when you make new records will likely be ones already used in events you imported.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:34 pm
Sounds straightforward, although thanks for the reminder to reset the event serial number ID as I would have missed that and would have then been somewhat confused as we started entering new events.

Thanks for your quick help.

Colin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:18 pm
We don't currently use many fields in CC Calendar Pro so migrating our data to SeedCodeCalendar for FMP 11 shouldn't be too difficult. Can you confirm the following field equivalents for data import:

Appointments Daily:: ApptDateStart -> Sample Events::Date Start
Appointments Daily:: ApptUser -> Sample Contacts::Name Full
Appointments Daily:: ApptTitle -> Sample Events:: Summary
Appointments Daily:: ApptType -> Sample Projects:: Name

As far as linking repeated events, I see there's a field called Appointments Daily Repeating:: Common One which appears to be used in CC Calendar Pro for this purpose but how do I retain the repeating events information after migrating the data to SeedCodeCalendar for FMP 11?

Another question: when I Shift-click in the monthly calendar in the left panel to make a new event I get "This script cannot be found or has been deleted" which when dismissed gives "the previous script step, "Perform Script", could not be completed because of an error. Do you wish to continue with this script?" This is on a copy of the database which hasn't been touched so I know I didn't delete the script. This is running on FMP 11.0v4 on a Mac running OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks.

Colin
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:50 am
Hi Colin,

You've got the start date right, but Sample Contacts and Sample Projects are tables *related to* the event: fields in the event don't import to them. You're looking for something more like:

CCCalAppts:: ApptDateStart -> Sample Events::Date Start
CCCalAppts:: ApptUser -> Sample Events::Resource
CCCalAppts:: ApptTitle -> Sample Events:: Summary
CCCalAppts:: ApptType -> Sample Events:: Status

For repeating events, there is just one field that need to come over, it's the field that holds the ID of the repeating event. In the versions I have it's called CCCalAppts::ApptKeyRepeatIDX and that gets imported into SampleEvents::z_Repeating_id

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar