Insert Ical file into calendar script hangs

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:19 pm
I have just purchased the latest seedcode calendar and am attempting to bolt it on to an existing solution. I went through the process twice. The second time I changed all the relationship instance names and field names in each of the SampleEvents, SampleProjects, SampleContacts and SamplePhases to line up perfectly making sure that all the names in each of the files were exactly the same. All the other relationships for the other 3 files, CalendarRows, CalendarInterface and CalendarColors are correct as far as I can see.

This happens whenever it goes to a calendar layout and runs the triggered script.

Using the debugger in Filemaker Advanced it appears that I am not getting past this command in the "Insert iCal File Into Calendar" script:

$sc_CountEvents + $sc_CountEvents[2] + $sc_CountEvents[3] + $sc_CountEvents[4] + $sc_CountEvents[5] = 0
or
(
$sc_countWritten ≥ $sc_CountEvents
and
$sc_countWritten[2] ≥ $sc_CountEvents[2]
and
$sc_countWritten[3] ≥ $sc_CountEvents[3]
and
$sc_countWritten[4] ≥ $sc_CountEvents[4]
and
$sc_countWritten[5] ≥ $sc_CountEvents[5]
)
I can't be sure that this is where the loop hangs up but checking the values of $sc_countWritten ≥ $sc_CountEvents in the data viewer it appears that $sc_countWritten does not appear to increment.

I hope this is not one of those drive you crazy forever type situations and it doesn't reflect something completely wrong. I am already getting a little loopy (excuse the pun).

Thanks for the help in advance,

Paul
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:22 pm
By the way I am not sure how to turn off the second source. It wasn't clearly explained so I tried deleting the Source No 2 layout but that did not appear to work.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:15 pm
Hey Paul,

Thanks for your post: sorry I didn't see it sooner!

So that isn't a place I'd normally expect things to get hung up. If you'd like to send me a copy of the file it is likely something simple I can find quickly. (email it to john at seedcode.com) If emailing it isn't an option, shoot me a not anyway and we'll figure something out.

As for sources, you can turn them off in scripts. The source(s) active by default is controlled in the script "Load Calendar Settings - On Startup --- Edit Configuration Here ---" after the comment "Which sources are active by default" and the number of sources is controlled in the script "Load Source Settings at Startup"after the comment "How many source layouts are there?"

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:52 pm
File is pretty big and has a lot of relationships to many different things. The file is actually 18 years old. Also the projects table is in another file. Let me make a clone of it and see if its not too large.

I didnt understand how to change the list function in the script. Should I put the yoga layout back? I wasnt sure if that was effecting the loop.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Hi Paul,

You don't need to put the Source No 2 layout back. And you don't need to edit the script ""Load Source Settings at Startup" as it just looks for how many "Source No..." layouts you have. You might checkout the troubleshooting steps here: http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... leshooting

Email me directly (john at seedcode.com) if you're still having problems and hopefully we can arrange a screen share so I can take a quick look.

Best,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:11 am
Hi john
Did you get my emails with the files? I will be back in a few hours and I will look at the troubleshooting then.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 am
LOL. I did, but didn't connect that to you here. Let's continue this by email.

Thanks!
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am
I seem to be having the same issue with constant looping in the script "write each source as an iCal File" and then into the script "clearing source variables". I am using a button on my home page which takes me directly to the main "calendar" layout (calendarInterface table) and performing the "go to day" script and it hangs. I get the same result when clicking on any of the calendar layout buttons - today, tomorrow, day, week, month, year etc. Any suggestions that might help from the original posting on this?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:21 pm
Hi Robert,

There's a few things that can cause this. My guess is that it has something to do with when the Upon Opening script is being run. If you're running when the file opens, but the window name changes when the calendar itself is launched this can cause issues. We use the Upon Opening routine to figure out which window is the "main" one, and if this changes then things can get out of sync. You may want to run it when they press the button that takes them to the calendar rather than when you open the file. I'd give that a try and see if that resolves. Otherwise let me know, and we'll dig deeper.

Thanks,
Jason
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 pm
Thanks Jason. That does have to do with part of the problem - but primarily I discovered that my sources were not loaded (and having just learned what this means). I did edit my own opening script to include the "upon opening" and redirect the layout in that script to the calendar view. Previously, I was skipping the
"upon opening" script - All is well now. Thanks.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:52 pm
I still have a client running your seed code calendar. It has been running well until this week. If in the week view they try to view the week of 2/24/19 through 3/2/19, the Insert iCal file into calendar script hangs. Only when moving into that week. Clicking on a date in any other week works.

For daily view, only 2/27 and 2/28 cause the hangs. For month view, February and March cause the hang.

I tried deleting all events occurring from 2/24/19 through 3/2/19. It did not cure the problem.

I am game to upgrade them to the new Dayback. But I could use a fix until I can make that happen. Thanks!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:08 am
Hi Rusty,

I'm sorry to hear your clients are experiencing that issue. Let me ask you a couple questions for a better understanding of what could be going on there:

• Which version of FileMaker are the clients running?
  • Which operating system?
  • Were they able to view the calendar just fine on those dates at any time before?

Maybe it would be easier for you to send us the copy of their file to troubleshoot on our end.

Please send over a link to our email: [email protected] where we can download the files (we can no longer receive files by email). I suggest using this free service to transfer your files, https://wetransfer.com though you can also send us a link via ftp or Dropbox. Be sure to create a new temporary full-access account name and password and include it either in a text file or in a reply to this email. If you send in-use credentials, make sure that the password is changed in your production file after we're done working with your solution.

Thanks!
Ana
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:26 am
Sent.

I have replicated the problem on several computers.

OS 10.11 - 10.14

Filemaker Server 14
Filemaker Clients 13-15

My personal computer is running 10.12.6 and the problem occurs on FMP Advanced 13.0v5 and 15.0.4.400

I created a user/pw for you in the file I sent.

User: Seed Code
PW: SeedCode

Thank you!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:16 pm
Just in case anyone else has this issue. The cause was an event with an end date in the range that caused the endless loop, but an empty start date.

Thank you for finding the solution!!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 am
Hi Rusty,

I'm so glad to hear you made it work! Thank you for letting everyone know!

Best wishes,
Ana

Return to SeedCode Calendar