Repeating events and handling event dates

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:19 pm
Hi,

I am new to the forum and as well to the calendar pro tool. I am in process of integrating calendar pro with our FM application. I have opted for the quick integration as the underlying data for our FM application is on MYSQL. We use FM as a data entry forms only. So far the integration works fine. But, there are some challenges in displaying the events correctly on the calendar with the type of data we have.

Here is an example of the events that I am working with (Schedule of Classes) -

ID - 1 (Auto-Increment)
Event Title - COMS 101 (Course No)
Description - Course Description
Instructor Name - XYZ
Resource = Classroom A
Start Date - 05/14/12
End Date - 8/3/12 (sending as empty to the calendar)
TimeState - 9.00 AM
TimeEnd - 10.30 AM
Meeting Days - M, W, F

The events are shown on the start date correctly. But, I have to show the records as repeating events. As in above example the same event must be displayed on M, W, F until End Date with out creating the repeating events as new records on the DB. Basically my users want to view all schedule of classes as a calendar view.

Not sure, if any of the current members deal with the same kind of data and this question has already been answered before.... Kind let me know how to handle this issue.

Thanks!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:19 am
Hi,

Right, our repeating events are represented as new records and don't have a way to do it otherwise without a major rewrite. You may want to separate the dates/events out into a separate related table from your schedule, so that you could have additional records there without affecting your main schedule record.

Let me know if that helps,
Jason
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:26 pm
Thank you Jason. I created a separate table for the repeating events. Now that I have multiple events that are scheduled at the same day and time. Right now, calendar just shows a indicator for overlapping events in day, week or schedule view. Is there a way that I don't know of in the calendar pro application that can be changed to show the multiple events side by side on the calendar.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:31 pm
Hi,

Not side by side, but the "Simple Views" for day and week show the events in more of a list way, so they're not overlapping there. We don't have this for the Schedule view, but typically there's less overlapping there as events are divided by resource.

The other option is to use filters to toggle certain events on and off, so you don't get the overlaps that way.

Let me know if that helps,
-Jason
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:41 pm
Hi Jason,

Thank you for the earlier suggestion.

I have modified the script "Load Calendar Settings -- On Startup" to add filters on calendar load. Upon run, the script includes only those resources based on given values. Instead, I would like the script to omit the resources.

Here is the code I modified -
Set Field [CalendarInterface::FilterGlob_3; "TBD"]
Set Variable [$$sc_FilterOmit[$sc_FilterNumber]; Value:"" ]
Set Field [$$sc_FilterCriteria[3]; Value:CalendarInterface::FilterGlob_3 ]

Not sure, how to handle this. Also how to provide multiple values to filter in the script.

Kindly advise!

-Geetha
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm
Hi Geetha,

Hope all's well with you!

Right, Filters with multiple values can be expressed as a list, so if the Resources you want to omit are:

John
Jason
Geetha

you'll want to specify:

Set Field [CalendarInterface::FilterGlob_3; "John" &¶& "Jason" &¶& "Geetha"]

you'll wan to turn the Omit option for that filter on, so:

Set Variable [$$sc_FilterOmit[$sc_FilterNumber]; Value: 1 ]

and then your last step can stay the same so:

Set Field [CalendarInterface::FilterGlob_3; "John" &¶& "Jason" &¶& "Geetha"]
Set Field [$$sc_FilterCriteria[3]; Value:CalendarInterface::FilterGlob_3 ]

That should do it.

hth,
Jason
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:12 am
Thanks Jason!

I tried both ways - Set Variable [$$sc_FilterOmit[$sc_FilterNumber]; Value: "" ] and Set Variable [$$sc_FilterOmit[$sc_FilterNumber]; Value: 1 ]. But the calendar displays the resources given in the value list instead of omit it. I tried modifying in the script in other ways and also running the 'Omit Filter' script explicitly on calendar load. Unfortunately the DB just hangs in indefinite loop.

After calendar load, I could see that since 'Include' option is selected by default, only the opted resources got displayed instead of hiding it.

Its really good to have this feature working on my calendar. Pls advice while I keep working on to find a solution for this.

- Geetha
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:29 am
Hi Geetha,

It sounds like you're close if you've got them including correctly, we just need to get that toggled over to the Omit. Looking a bit closer, we're not specifying a value for $sc_FilterNumber in this Load Settings script (unless you've added that in), so it's not sure which one to omit with your current set up.

Try this:

Set Variable [$$sc_FilterOmit[3]; Value: 1 ]

instead of this

and I think that should do it.

Also remove that "Omit Filter" script step as well. That shouldn't be necessary if we set the above up correctly.

If that doesn't work. I can take a quick look at your file(s) if you like and see If I can tell what's going on. Please e-mail me at [email protected] and we can get that set up.

Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:30 pm
Hello Jason,

Thank you once again for your timely support.

With specifying a value for $sc_FilterNumber; the script is now able to filter the resources. Its working great.

Thank you!

Best regards
Geetha
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:35 pm
Fantastic, and thanks for following up here.

Cheers!

Return to SeedCode Calendar