Removing everything between startDate and EndDate

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:43 pm
I'm a novice and playing with the free version of the calendar.

I'm finding that spanning events across multiple days or sometimes weeks adds a lot of clutter to layout.
How would I only display the DateStart and DateEnd on the calendar?
Last edited by grover970 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:16 am
There is not a simple way to do this. It would require very heavy modification to the calendar. As a simple solution you could just create 2 events. So for every multi day event you just create an event to represent the start date, then create the same event to represent the end date.

Hope that helps.

-Tanner
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:38 am
Bummer!
Does the PRO version support this?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:06 am
In this case the pro and free calendars behave the same way. Personally not having the dates span would be confusing to me. How would you know if that particular event was the start or end to a date range? Or that it wasn't just a stand alone event? I can see the desire to un-clutter your display but I think this would open up a lot of other issues that would need to be solved to work properly. If you have an example of an existing calendar app that does this I would love to see how they solved those problems.

We could do this for you as a modification. It would likely take more than 4 hours (our rate for this kind of thing is $170/hr). If that sounds doable, send me an email and we can discuss the details of how you'd like this to work (support at seedcode.com).

-Tanner
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:31 am
As I've mentioned I'm a pure novice to Filemaker. With that being said, I've created a resource management tool for my busy studio incorporating the free calendar.

I've ruined many copies of the calendar file doing this but I've been able to add the resource name with the event name on the calendar. Ideally I'd like the event to display something like this (imagine the dotted line spans the time between the start date and end date):
Start: EventName & ResourceName ------------------------------------ End: EventName & ResourceName
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:31 pm
grover970 wrote:As I've mentioned I'm a pure novice to Filemaker. With that being said, I've created a resource management tool for my busy studio incorporating the free calendar.

I've ruined many copies of the calendar file doing this but I've been able to add the resource name with the event name on the calendar. Ideally I'd like the event to display something like this (imagine the dotted line spans the time between the start date and end date):
Start: EventName & ResourceName ------------------------------------ End: EventName & ResourceName

Glad to hear that your "hacking" the calendar for your needs. That's really cool. You are definitely taking the right approach by doing your experimentation on a copy.

That is possible but like I said, it would take some time to make that modification. If you would like to go that route just email us and we can work out the details. support at seedcode.com.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:13 am
This was actually pretty easy to do after studying the scripts. I think I just got lucky.

In the "Insert into Calendar - Write additional days ( Date )" script there is a loop that goes thru to insert the event into each day that the event spans. Each day that falls within the range the script "Insert into Calendar - Write Event { No Content }" gets triggered.

The loop ends when "$sc_n = $sc_Days"
In this loop I added a IF statement around the Insert into Calendar function:
If [$sc_n = $sc_Days -1]
Insert into Calendar - Write Event { No Content }
End If

So my next question is how easy is it to add some conditional formatting to the event to distinguish the startDate from the endDate? I'm assuming it would be done in the "Insert into Calendar - Write Event { No Content }" script but not sure how to pass the parameter.

Return to SeedCode Calendar