Linking the ToDo List

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 pm
How can I link the ToDo List in?

I have played with source 2 but I don't understand what I am supposed to link it into in the calendar in order to have items show on the calendar. When this is linked, will that create a mini window like events or is there something else I have to do fot that to happen?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:46 am
Hi Don,

The idea is that you'll have a different table than source No 1 that contains these items. If you don't have a table already you can use the one we have in the stock file and import it into your file. In the stock file we have a different mini-window for to-dos, and you can use that one ore specify you're own. The layout and table that's used is specified in the script:

Load Source Settings at Startup --- Describe Your Sources Here ---

If you haven't already please check out these two sections in our docs.

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... pleSources

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... .To-DoList

Let me know if that helps.
-Jason
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 pm
Yes, I am using the stock todo layouts but the todo detail layout wants to open to a full screen and not a mini window which would be more appropriate for the layout size.

I have input a todo and it shows on the due date only when I go to month view. Is this the normal behavior or should it input on the day it was created and then roll forward to the due date or untill the date it is done?

This is in Calendar Pro and Filemaker 12 advanced.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:23 am
Hi Don,

Hope you're having a nice Weekend.

Don Penhailegon wrote:Yes, I am using the stock todo layouts but the todo detail layout wants to open to a full screen and not a mini window which would be more appropriate for the layout size.

We're calling our "Adjust Window" near the end of the routine which should resize it properly, so make sure that's happening.

Window.png
Window.png (110.63 KiB) Viewed 15946 times

In 12, the layout size is defined by the layout guides and not the objects themselves, so those might need some adjustment to frame the objects properly.

Don Penhailegon wrote:I have input a todo and it shows on the due date only when I go to month view. Is this the normal behavior or should it input on the day it was created and then roll forward to the due date or untill the date it is done?

If the Due Date is later than today, then it should show up on that date. if it's in the past and hasn't been marked as done, then it should show up today. Once it's marked as done, then it should show up on the Day it was marked as done. We do specify if a source should have this to-do behavior in the start up script by source number, so I would check that setting to make sure it's specified properly.

ToDo.png
ToDo.png (144.23 KiB) Viewed 15946 times

Let me know if that helps,
-Jason
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 am
The behavior is as you have described.

I was expecting it show on the day it was created and roll forward until done or overdue with overdue changing to red or somehow indicating it was overdue.

Adjust window is in place and enabled. I understand now that you have to be on a ToDo List to create a ToDo item and then it will open in an appropriate window.

I think I would prefer to create a ToDo item from the focus of the Calendar than from the ToDo List

Perhaps I can duplicate the new ToDo button on the Calendar layout or would that not recognize the source number?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 am
Hi Don,

Don Penhailegon wrote:The behavior is as you have described.

I was expecting it show on the day it was created and roll forward until done or overdue with overdue changing to red or somehow indicating it was overdue.

Right, the formatting can be changed it the Format Event Summary --- Edit the Style of the Event Text Here --- script. The global variable $$sc_DateTimeStart reflects the timestamp of the event being formatted, and the $$sc_SourceInUse reflects the source of that event. so you could use that to determine additional formatting you'd like. When going this deep, always make sure you've got a good back-up to revert to.

Adjust window is in place and enabled. I understand now that you have to be on a ToDo List to create a ToDo item and then it will open in an appropriate window.

That should set it to the Layout Edges, so not sure why it would be staying big. Might need to step through that part with the debugger to see what's happening.

Don Penhailegon wrote:I think I would prefer to create a ToDo item from the focus of the Calendar than from the ToDo List

Perhaps I can duplicate the new ToDo button on the Calendar layout or would that not recognize the source number?

Right, if you only have the To-Do source selected than it will create the event for that source, but if you have both selected than it goes to the one you define as the default in the start-up settings script. By default, that's Source No 1. The New Calendar Event script runs a sub routine at the beginning to determine which source to use, so it would be pretty easy to use a parameter to bypass that and just set the Source to what you want.

New Event.png
New Event.png (111.3 KiB) Viewed 15939 times

Let me know if that helps!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 am
Hi Don,

Don Penhailegon wrote:The behavior is as you have described.

Right, the formatting can be changed it the Format Event Summary --- Edit the Style of the Event Text Here --- script. The global variable $$sc_DateTimeStart reflects the timestamp of the event being formatted, and the $$sc_SourceInUse reflects the source of that event. so you could use that to determine additional formatting you'd like. When going this deep, always make sure you've got a good back-up to revert to.

That should set it to the Layout Edges, so not sure why it would be staying big. Might need to step through that part with the debugger to see what's happening.

Don Penhailegon wrote:I think I would prefer to create a ToDo item from the focus of the Calendar than from the ToDo List

Right, if you only have the To-Do source selected than it will create the event for that source, but if you have both selected than it goes to the one you define as the default in the start-up settings script. By default, that's Source No 1. The New Calendar Event script runs a sub routine at the beginning to determine which source to use, so it would be pretty easy to use a parameter to bypass that and just set the Source to what you want.

New Event.png

Let me know if that helps!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:05 am
Yes, I think I understand how this works now. I'll think on it a bit. Not a big deal to go to the ToDo layout to create a ToDo or perhaps if I decide to get fancy, I can add in the script a question re which source an event is to go to.

Thanks so much for your help.

Return to SeedCode Calendar