Calendar Repeat Event

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:32 am
When I create a new event and decide that I want a repeating event, I click "Repeat".

I decide I want a "Weekly" repeating event.

I decide I want the event repeated 1 time every week.

I decide I want the event to repeat every "Monday".

I decide I want this behavior to "Stop after [ 5 ] repetitions."

The calendar actually creates 6 events. I was expecting 5 events to be created.

Another related topic:

If I had created 52 events by repeating an event, it seems to me that changing/deleting those 52 events would be quite tedious. Did I miss an easy way to edit repeating events?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:00 am
It sounds like you are creating 1 event (the original) plus 5 repetitions (copies). This equals 6, which seems logical...

When you click one of your 52 repeating events it will open up in a small window called 'Event Details'. Towards the bottom right is 'show repts as list' underneath the Repeat button. Click this to jump to the 'Event List' layout.

Sort the list by Date so that the earliest event is at the top. Amend whichever field you want then click:
Records | Replace Field Contents

Choose your options and the amendment will be copied throughout the other events...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 pm
brian.curran wrote:It sounds like you are creating 1 event (the original) plus 5 repetitions (copies). This equals 6, which seems logical...

Perhaps you can explain it that way, but it isn't expected behavior.

I didn't create a separate event, and then come back to create the repeats. It is all done in one event creation.

One shouldn't have to remember to create "one less than" the number of events wanted.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:17 pm
brian.curran wrote:When you click one of your 52 repeating events it will open up in a small window called 'Event Details'. Towards the bottom right is 'show repts as list' underneath the Repeat button. Click this to jump to the 'Event List' layout.

Sort the list by Date so that the earliest event is at the top. Amend whichever field you want then click:
Records | Replace Field Contents

Choose your options and the amendment will be copied throughout the other events...

This is a lot to ask a user to do, especially if the application is distributed as a runtime where normal menu items aren't available.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:26 pm
Hi,

Brian's right about how the calendar works: that repeating event behavior is a compromise for sure. Here is how we thought about it... If you ask a single event to repeat once, how many events should you have? Two is what we decided, but I certainly see the other side. This isn't something that we'll be changing, however, as that script is *complicated*.

Deleting all the repeating events, however, is something you can change. If deleting them manually is too tedious, you can certainly write a script that goes to those related records and deletes them, or deletes all of them that are set to occur after the current date: whatever your business rules are. The script behind that "show repetitions" button is your starting point.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar