Gantt Chart Calculation

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:08 am
Hey Guys,

How is the overall project start and finish date calculated and displayed in the gantt chart ?

I'd like to save the project start and finish dates in the project table and have them update as and when !

Thanks

James
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:44 am
Hi James,

I'll try to give you a couple of ideas, but I'm not positive I'm interpreting your question correctly. Please feel free to clarify so I can make sure I get you the best answer.

The date range that shows up inside the gray bar text on the Gantt chart is calculated from the earliest start date and the latest end date of all events related to that project. It gets set into the $sc_ProjectDates variable in the "Load records into Gantt Chart" script. So you could set whatever date range you like into this variable (or any value or string for that matter) and that's what would appear in that gray bar text on the Gantt chart. But still it's the actual dates from related events that determine WHETHER and WHERE a project is included on the Gantt chart. In other words, projects with no related events are not included on the Gantt chart.

You might also be asking about simply displaying the project start and end dates on your project record, in which case I would suggest you create calculation fields in your projects table to return the earliest start date and latest end date from all events related to that project. Those values should update automatically as related events are created, edited or deleted.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:58 am
Yep, was just looking to display project start and end dates on my project record !

Just wondered if there was already a calculation in place that would give me this information as my filemaker scripting is not so hot :)

James
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:51 am
Excellent! I'm glad I could help. :)

Return to SeedCode Calendar