Multiple Statuses

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:38 pm
Is there a way to do multiple status for an event?

We have instances where we will make a test event for Resource A but then they also need a result event. Could Statuses be a check box instead of a drop down menu in the event details? What would that do to the color coding?

Ideally I'd like to be able to make linked events on the same day in different Resources. So schedule her test event for Resource A at 9 then the result event for Resource B at 10 but when I run numbers, only have her counted once because the events are just one and not two.

Has anyone else done something similar to this?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:18 pm
You could change the Status field to check boxes. I'm not sure what that would do to the color-coding. Go ahead and try it. If you change the Resource field to check boxes and choose two resources on the same event, that event will appear twice on the Schedule View. But if you want an event to show on the calendar at two separate start times, you'll need two separate event records for that. HTH -Jeff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:49 pm
Jeff - I went ahead and changed the Statuses to a checkbox. What it does is completely negate the color-coding. Is there a way that I could prioritize the color-coding? Like, if A and B is checked then no matter what be blue, or if B and C is checked be orange. It still holds the colors for single checks, A is still blue, B is still orange, but multiple statuses it pretty much gives up.

I also noticed that if too many events are overlapping, it stops showing color. Is that a bug?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:42 am
Hi,

(sorry for the late reply!)

Since it can only show one color, you'll need to tell it which of the multiple status entries to use for the color. The best way to do this is to create a new calc field that grabs only one of your statuses. It could be as simple as

GetValue ( StatusField; 1)

or it could try to pick the most "important" status if that makes sense to you. Then use this calc field on your Source No X layout on the colors tab (you'll need to run the upon opening script again for that change to take effect).

The calendar doesn't give up when there are lots of overlaps, but it does just show the "last" one: if that was a multiple status event I could see that looking like no color. Let me know if this overlapping problem persists once the multi-status events are showing the color from one status.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:22 pm
I do understand the picking the most important status. What I'd like to do is something similar to the SampleEvents::z_AlternateSummaryCalc where I can prioritize the color coding like I do with the information seen in the calendar view. Is this doable?

It has been doing this since before I changed it to checkboxes. It has been doing that since we got the program.

I noticed today that when I opened the program, some of the names are appearing and some aren't. I'm not sure what happened.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:54 pm
Hi Illyssa. I think what you're saying is you want your Status field to allow multiple values (checkboxes), but when multiple values are selected, you want to apply some logic to determine which color to use. John's idea was to create a separate calculation field that returned the first value: GetValue(StatusField;1) But you could apply whatever logic you like to return a single value. As long as that value matches one of the statuses you have set up for color coding, that should work just fine. Using your examples, you might build your calculation formula like this:

Case (
PatternCount(StatusField; "A") and PatternCount(StatusField; "B"); "B";
PatternCount(StatusField; "B") and PatternCount(StatusField; "C"); "C";
StatusField )

As long as A, B, C, etc are among the entries on your "Assign Colors" screen, this technique will work.

HTH... Jeff

Return to SeedCode Calendar