Graphical cue to calendar focus

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:43 pm
I'm modifying version 5.6.

Is there any way to highlight the most recently accessed event on the calendar? I am envisioning a simple rectangle drawn around a the last calendar event accessed by creating, dragging, extending, or viewing in an Event Details window.

At times I loose track of just which entry I am viewing or modifying. Particularly if I click to my contacts window, then back to a calendar view. For that reason the Calendar imposes a bit more load upon short term memory than it needs to, and I think it would be a big usability enhancement if it remembered for me.

Thanks!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:42 pm
I don't think we've ever done a modification to highlight the "selected" event, but I like that idea. You could store the id of the selected event in a global field or variable when you click on it, then reference it in the CalendarRows::CalendarColorReptCalc field to change the background color of that record. Or make a new repeating field and use that to draw something else like the border you mention. It's a great idea! Please let us know what you come up with! -Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:02 pm
I worked out a way to change the color of an event upon opening an Event Details window for that event. The previous status color is restored upon closing the event with “close and refresh.” Alternatively, after closing the Event Details window using the window control, which doesn’t force a refresh, clicking on another event moves the focus, as that triggers a refresh that restores the color of one event while putting the focus upon another. Its a pretty neat effect.

What I need to know is how to run a script directed at a window that is in, and remains in, the background. I want the Event Details window to open atop the main calendar window immediately upon clicking upon an event, triggering in turn a refresh of the calendar’s main window in the background to update the event color to indicate "focus." I want the Event Details window to appear immediately and remain on top the entire time. But because I don’t know how to direct a script at a background window, the main calendar window has to come to the front at least briefly for the refresh.

Some Filemaker documentation in the context of script triggers suggests this is possible (e.g. see http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/d ... emaker-pro). But I can’t figure it out how it is done.

I’ve experimented with drawing the Event Details window offscreen, then refreshing the calendar, then moving/resizing the Event Details window into view. But that imposes a noticeable performance penalty in a hosted environment, particularly on a PC (which performs dismayingly more poorly WRT redraws than does the Macintosh version).
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:50 am
Could you just draw a new off-screen window that goes to the "Calendar" layout, then perform your operations there?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:48 pm
That worked quite well. Thank you. When I get a moment I'll describe how this works.

Return to SeedCode Calendar