Overlapping events in Schedule view

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:04 pm
Running Seedcode Calendar 5.6, I’m contending with an interesting bug, and need help understanding where to start looking.

I am scheduling about 23 resources and for the most part things are going smoothly. It so happens that I have also implemented the “groups menu” mod described earlier, and that is working well.

Upon viewing the first set of seven resources, everything is good.

However, if I use the built in “Next Resources” button to display the next set of seven resources - the first of which was the seventh of the previous group - I get an overlap. Specifically, the left-most resource-column of the second group, which displayed correctly as the last column of the first group, displays both its own events AND the events of the second column of the first group. If the overlap creates a conflict then the conflict is flagged with the vertical red line.

No other columns conflict in this way.

If, by moving all the way to the “right end’ of my resources with “next resources,” then back again with “prev. resources,” I get the offending column to be displayed second or third rather than at the far left, it continues to display overlapping events from the same, second column of the first group.

I assume I’ve gotten something messed up among the stacked fields.

Fortunately, the “groups menu” provides a workaround. Selecting resources to display in that way averts the problem - perhaps this has to do with the fact that there is no overlap between groups displayed?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:26 pm
Would you mind posting some screen shots to help illustrate the problem you're seeing? Also, what exactly is the "groups menu" mod you're referring to?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:58 am
Hello again -

I've narrowed the problem considerably. This pertains to Calendar 5.62. I've determined that this occurs even in the original, unmodified calendar:

I have a resource named "Barnett." I have a second resource named "CBarnett." Not a coincidence - CBarnett is Barnett's spouse.

In the Schedule view, the Barnett column displays Barnett's appointments. The CBarnett column displays Cbarnett's appointments, but also displays Barnett's appointments - but only when only when the Barnett and Cbarnett columns are not simultaneously displayed. So if Barnett is the first column of the display and CBarnett is in the last, there is no problem. If I jump right one step so Cbarnett is the first column and Barnett is no longer displayed, Cbarnett displays both Cbarnett's and Barnett's appointments. New appointments created in that column are assigned to CBarnett.

With some testing I've determined that any time a resource name contains another resource name, this occurs. And, as above, this bug is present in the original calendar - so doesn't result from any modification I've made.

So - how to avert, other than changing Cbarnett's resource name?

(By the way, the mod I referred to is the Partitioning Resources mod, although that isn't the issue, as this bug is present in the unmodified calendar.)
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:18 am
Would you mind posting a screen shot to help me understand what you're seeing?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:30 am
OK - here are two images.

In Pic 1 you see my first set of resources, listed alphabetically. I've put five dummy appointments into Barnett's schedule and one into Cbarnett's schedule. Everything is fine.

Pic 2 depicts what happens if I click "Next Resources" and display the next set of resources. Cbarnett is now the first resource. As you can see, the Cbarnett column displays both Barnett's and Cbarnett's appointments, with a conflict appropriately indicated in the first hour.

If I Shift-click into Cbarnett's column as displayed in Pic 2 the event is correctly assigned to Cbarnett.

This behavior occurs whenever one resource name contains another (e.g. Cbarnett contains Barnett), and is evident in the calendar as shipped.
Attachments
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 1.jpg (77.49 KiB) Viewed 26737 times
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:31 am
Here is the second image:
Attachments
PIc 2.jpg
PIc 2.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 26736 times
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:40 am
The simple solution would be to change "Barnett" to include that person's first initial (e.g., "ABarnett"). The more elegant solution would be to edit the calculation used to populate the $$sc_Column variable in the "Insert into Calendar { Column }" script (this is happening in the "Resource Vertical" section of that calc). Right now it's using Position and PatternCount to determine which column to write to, and since the string "Barnett" appears within "Cbarnett", the calendar is getting confused.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:22 pm
OK, thanks for the guidance.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:23 am
Because the problem (Barnett's appointments appearing in CBarnett's column) only occurs when Barnett's column is not also displayed, the simplest workaround has been to change the order in which my resources display in the Schedule view, such that Cbarnett appears right next to Barnett. That way they always display together and the problem is averted.

However, the bug is still lurking in Calendar 5.62 as you are distributing it, and somebody else is bound to encounter it. So if you do repair the calc (and I think you should), please post that correction here so I can incorporate it.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:41 am
Turns out we fixed this in a more recent version of the Pro Calendar. You can apply the fix in your file by making an easy edit in the "Insert into Calendar { Column }" script. Open the first Set Variable [$$sc_Column; ...] step and edit this line:

$sc_ResourcePosition = Position ( resourcesshown ; $$sc_Resource[$$sc_SourceInUse] ; 1 ; 1 )

So instead it looks like this:

$sc_ResourcePosition = Position ( ¶ & resourcesshown & ¶ ; ¶ & $$sc_Resource & ¶ ; 1 ; 1 )

That should do it.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:28 am
Cool, thanks!

Return to SeedCode Calendar