Performance problem Seedcode Calendar

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:43 am
I would like some input on a performance problem I have with the calendar. I am using calendar version 6.24, FMP 13, Windows server 2012 R2 (2 cores, 4GB ram), both for FM server and clients on a TS server. I integrated this calendar with my vertical market application which I have been rerwriting in fmp12.
I use data separation with data stored in a seperate file from the agenda GUI. I have seen some comments on a performance issue when you get to about 8000 records. So, I am looking into creating a event history table to store past events (events will easuliy go beyond 8000 a year).
However I am beta testing with a customer and have imported around 3300 (event) records, which is what this customer currently has in upcoming events. This already gives unacceptable slow performance: opening the weekview tab or resource tab takes 5-8 seconds (same for opening a new event window). This client is using a large amount of resources(100+). Can this be a reason for the delay we see? Any ideas on how to solve a performance problem like this. My customer told he will not accept this upgrade with a performance like this. :cry:

Thanks,

Joost Kingma
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:53 am
Hi Joost.

Thanks for the details. That's a 2012 calendar you have and if you're re-writing your solution I can tell you that our newer calendars are a good deal faster--if you think that's an option you can pretty easily test this out by linking the demo version of the new calendar, DayBack, to your app and see what you think. That demo runs for 30 days so you can test this with your client's actual data.

As to why the current one is slowing down, it might help to know if this 5-8 second delay is locally, over TS, or over the WAN.

I'd say that 100 resources is a lot and I'd probably suggest pre-filtering those for your user so they're easier to see at a glance, but that shouldn't effect the week view as they're not used there the same way. That could be part of pulling up a new event window as the resource value list is probably on that event layout: you could try removing it from there to see if that speeds up opening a new event window.

Sincerely yours,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:44 pm
Hi John, thanks for your quick reply. I have already made several modifications to your calendar to integrate it in my application. So I prefere to troubleshoot this version first.
The slow down is both locally if I test in on my pc (Windows 8 FMP13) and on the TS (both FMS and TS are hosted in a datacenter, ping time < 1 ms). The agenda is not used over the WAN. I am working on an off-line version with syncing for WAN use in FM Go. Resources are indeed filtered in several ways. I just meant that their resource list is pretty extensive. The selected set of resources (filterglob 3) is never more than 6 or 7 at the time of they use the reosurce tab.

Sincerely, Joost
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:44 pm
Joost, we're talking about this over email but I wanted to put a couple links here for anyone following along. One is the notes about how to speed up the older calendar, including pre-filtering it which will likely be the solution here:

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... ar12.Speed

The other is just to note that FileMaker SQL does "feel" the entire table when fetching records, not just the records fetched, which is why we switched to FileMaker Finds in the newest calendar DayBack. Anyone interested in speed should check out the 30day trial of DayBack, point it at their FileMaker file, and see what the speed increase looks like:

http://www.seedcode.com/filemaker-calendar/

=)
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar