Recipient Name not coming through after merge

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:34 am
Hi John

I have integrated fmSpark with my clients solution, but I have one problem which I just can't find the error for:

After I merge my letter with the recipient, I get only a ? in the field recipientName.

I gone through everything double and tripple, but I can't find the error.
The recipient is correctly displayed before I merge.

I don't think I have changed anything other then the required changes in the Manage Recipients layout in this area.

I can see, that the ID number of my contacts is coming through correctly, but the name is not there.

Have you got any idea, where I can look?

Thanking you in advance

Kind regards

Regine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:48 am
Hi there,

Sounds like we're talking about the recipient name in the portal on the right hand side of the Review Letters layout: is that right?

If so, select "Settings" from the fmSpark menu, the click the "Developer" icon. At the bottom of the Media and Groups tab you'll see a record for the "Contacts" media group. There you'll find the Merge Recipient's name. This is expressed as something like "Contacts::Full Name". Keep "Contacts::" and add the field name from the recipient's full name in your file.

If we're talking about another instance of the recipient name, send me an email with a screen shot of the problem and we'll figure it out.

Best,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:55 pm
Hi John

we talking about the recipient after the merge of the template with the recipients.
In the Create... section the recipients are displayed correctly, but after the merge in the Review section the recipients are not displayed.
The field there is called recipientName and I assume it is somehow filled via the merge script, but i can't locate it.

I will email you some screen shots per email.

Thanks

Kind regards

Regine
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm
I have exactly the same problem. I have checked the field recommended by John, but no change.

All I get is the question mark in the field 'recipientName' in the _Messages of Batch portal on the Review Email layout - is there a simple solution?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:47 pm
Hi Ross,

I don't remember what was wrong in the file mentioned above, but I believe I needed to see it. If you can email me a copy (john at seedcode.com) that would be cool, otherwise email me to arrange a screen sharing session and we'll figure it out.

Best,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:05 pm
I think Im' having the same problem described in this thread. I assume the problem was solved (John @ SeedCode has been very responsive and helpful to me). What was the solution?

Jason
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:55 am
John's advice, posted above, does work. Thanks, John

Return to fmSpark