Single User / Workgroup

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:15 am
Hello,
I have a few newbish questions about fmspark;

We run Seedcode on FM Server Advanced. I'm looking at fmspark to handle email campaigns, only one user will be using it. Will the single user version of fmspark work or do I need to spring for the workgroup edition?

fmspark appears to make the Mailings component of Complete redundant - is that correct?

Some documentation seems to suggest buying SMTPit Pro, but fmspark includes mailit plugin. Is there any significant difference or need to still buy SMTPit? Is the SMTP capability in FM10 up to the job?

Thanks

Rob
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:03 am
Good questions Rob; thanks.

RobertFrith wrote:We run Seedcode on FM Server Advanced. I'm looking at fmspark to handle email campaigns, only one user will be using it. Will the single user version of fmspark work or do I need to spring for the workgroup edition?

If it is a multi-user solution you need the workgroup edition, even if only one person is responsible for sending mails.

RobertFrith wrote:fmspark appears to make the Mailings component of Complete redundant - is that correct?

Yes. fmSpark does a more thorough job of it. You'd probably remove the mailings component from SeedCode, though you can keep the "mailing members" portals on Contacts, Projects, etc. and use these as the "journal" tables used in fmSpark.[/quote]

RobertFrith wrote:Some documentation seems to suggest buying SMTPit Pro, but fmspark includes mailit plugin. Is there any significant difference or need to still buy SMTPit?

The mailings component of SeedCode Complete uses SMTPit Pro to sent HTML emails. You don't need SMTPit Pro if you're using fmSpark for mailings as the included MailIt plugin takes care of it.

RobertFrith wrote:Is the SMTP capability in FM10 up to the job?

It won't send HTML emails.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:29 pm
I've built a simple, IWP solution for one or two remote salespeople. I plan to support them by creating both print and HTML email marketing campaigns direct from my computer using FM Spark (which is not IWP compatible).

I'm fine with that, because 99% of the salespeople's work is done by phone, not email. If I understand correctly, the remote salespeople will be able to send an occasional, non-HTML email via SMTP in my IWP-enabled solution, since FM 10 send mail IS IWP-compatible.

But will that setting conflict with the FMSpark-required settings on my computer?

In this low networked situation, what do you recommend as the best approach? Full hosting + a workgroup license of FM Spark? or a single-user license (me) for email campaigns, and then occasional send mail via IWP for remote users?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:50 am
Hi,

So sending some mail from IWP connections using the SMTP version of the SendMail script step won't conflict with other scripts you're running using fmSpark. No problems there.

And supporting those folks by sending some rich HTML from FMP Client using fmSpark makes sense. You would need a workgroup license for this since you're in a multi-user situation: even though only one user is sending mail from fmSpark, ideally every one is benefiting from that.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to fmSpark